Lisen

Default Turn off automatic appearance of toolbars & view change

I am very picky about how my toolbars are set up and how my screen appears.
There are two things that drive me around the twist with Word and I will be
indebted to anyone who can provide a solution to these.

1. Whenever I click on a heading in a table of contents to go to that
section within a Word document, the "Web" toolbar appears. I don't want it!
How do I keep the toolbar from appearing?
2. I work with tables alot and thus have added many of the borders and
shading options to my toolbar. If I change the format of a border, for
example, select a thicker line width from the pulldown menu, Word insists
upon not only opening up the full borders and shading toolbar, but switching
my view from normal to print layout. Is there any way to get Word to NOT
switch my view?

I am currently using Word 2000, but will be switching to 2003 shortly.

Thanks!

You'll find you don't have a problem with the Web toolbar in Word 2003. But
see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...WebToolbar.htm You can apply
table borders from the built-in borders flyout without changing views, but
if you want the fuller functionality of the Tables and Borders toolbars
(selecting border weight, etc.), then, yes, Word will change views.

"Lisen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wikid Wikid is offline

In 2001 I found a 'setting' (perhaps in the registry) that told word to not
automatically pop-up toolbars under the menu bar. This was nice, because I
had simply customized my menu bar with the standard menu & all and only the
tools that I usually use, all on the one line menu bar! For rare occasions
that I needed something else, I could always get it in the normal fashions
(hot-keys or menu tree). I cannot find the same option in Word (XP, 2002,
10). It is a persistent pain to wind up with an inch or more of the screen
obliterated with these uselessly offered toolbars. I am must repeatedly
(during an edit session) menu-click the menubar & turn off all the altered
items, in order to dismiss them, recover my precious screen space &
re-simplify my display. (If Ms programmers thought clearly, when the
menu/toolbar is customised by the user, the auto-pop-up toolbars would revert
to manual.) Insert the following command into a macro, and run it once to
change the Word 2002/10/XP setting. This will allow the manual use of the
"Web" toolbar, but it won't pop-up.
CommandBars("Web").Enabled = False
You might have to do the same for each of the other ~20 toolbars that bother
you the most. You might have to explore your registry (be careful!) to find
the names of any others you want to 'manualize'.

"Lisen" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It's been a while since I used Word2003, but I never had any excess
toolbars showing -- just the two regular ones (I think they were
called "Standard" and "Formatting"), and the one with the Track
Changes commands (since I use that all the time). Occasionally
contextual toolbars would show up, such as one for drawing objects.

It sounds like you're a candidate for Word2007, which has only one
toolbar, with next to no commands on it until you customize it.

Or you could download the beta of Office2010.