Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

Default Word 2007 should allow comment highlighting to be turned off

[I thought this was going direct to MS at first - I think I've already posted
a "suggestion" like this to a discussion group - apologies for boring the
pants off everyone]

Word 2007 highlights the scope of balloon comments according to the reviewer
name.

This is often helpful, but not universally slow: if there are a large number
of comments the highlighting can make the underlying document hard to read.

Word 2007 should allow the user to control comment scope highlighting,
perhaps in a manner similar to the highlighting control for fields, but to
allow the following:

1. Always highlight comment scope
2. Never highlight comment scope
3. Highlight scope only when the insertion point is in the comment range

This seemingly trivial shortcoming of Word 2007 persuades me against
upgrading from Word XP at present as I have ~4,000 comments in a 500 page
document and I can't see the word for the trees with the overzealous
highlighting.

I had previously written my own VBA code to do selective comment scope
highlighting - and balloon flashing. It's much nicer - but there is no
control over comment colours.

I can even control the order of Reviewer Names... but that's a real hack!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You know, the funny thing is that earlier versions of Word used a
highlight instead of the brackets. I think this was changed in Word
2002, at which point there were a lot of complaints that the brackets
were hard to see and people wanted the highlight back.

I know that when I used a highlighting version--I tended to only attach
the comment to the last word of a sentence, for minimal highlight. Now
that my version uses brackets, I select the entire sentence that I am
referring to.

Anyhow, offering more control is a good suggestion.