Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

Default Help request re "Too many spelling errors..."

Word 2002 (under Vista HP).

Large document (~750pp, ~250k words) organised in ~40 tables of 5 columns.

I have written code to show/hide columns, and to stop Word adjusting the row
height I also make the text in a suppressed column Hidden.

However, whenever I do a column show/hide Word complains that there are "Too
many spelling errors" to display - but when I do a spell-check there are *no*
errors at all. V. annoying as when Word hits this error the "Hide Spelling
Errors in this Document" option (under Options... Spelling) becomes enabled
and has to be disabled - again.

Any ideas how to prevent this behaviour?

Julian
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

I have a theory that if a query goes too long here without any replies at all
everyone assumes it is unanswerable... maybe this will prompt someone else to
have a look!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, it may *be* unanswerable. Obviously no one here has an answer. I guess
the first point to address is whether the document actually does contain
many spelling errors or if this error message is entirely bogus. If it's
true, there's not much you can do about it except address the errors. If
it's bogus, it might reflect a bug that would be worth testing for
reproducibility and reporting.

"Julian" wrote in message
I have a theory that if a query goes too long here without any replies at

all
everyone assumes it is unanswerable... maybe this will prompt someone else

have a look!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

(I got an email notification of a reply and as I clicked the link thought
"Damn! It's my own stupid addendum...! But it wasn't...)

No, there are no spelling errors - at least Word says there are no spelling
errors (F7...), but then it is Word that says there are too many spelling
errors in the first place! Which to believe!

I'm pretty sure there are none though...

Hidden text is not spell-checked. When I show/hide columns one set of text
is first hidden and then the other text is unhidden... (neither set has
spelling errors AFAIK). Stepping through the code, the error occurs as soon
as the previously hidden text is unhidden.

Here's a guess (but only that): Word is suddenly presented with large chunks
of text that should be spell-checked, and as such are implicitly not-checked,
and says to itself "Count of Not Valid Words limit", rather than "Count of
Words CHECKED AND NOT VALID limit"....

However - copying a large chunk of good text from notepad and pasting into a
new document does not seem to catch word out... nor does hiding and unhiding
that text....

Don't really have the time to try and chase it down myself so I thought I'd
ask in case there was a QUICK answer... if not I can live with it -
grudgingly!

But thanks for taking an interest

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

If the Hidden text really doesn't *need* to be spell checked, why don't you
apply a style that includes the "Do not check spelling or grammar" property?

Perhaps that wasn't clear enough: I meant that AFAIK Word doesn't check the
spelling of text formatted as hidden.

ALL text needs to be spell-checked (there's just no point if it can't be
seen) so I *do* want it checked when it is visible... because that is text
I'm working on.

[I created column "outlining" because otherwise I end up with columns as
thin as spaghetti - it allows me to work with reasonable text areas (as long
as hidden text is actually not only formatted as hidden but hidden text is
also not shown) Works very well except for this oddity!]

Julian

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Julian Julian is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, I'm out of ideas.

Fair enough! But thanks all the same for thinking about it - it's always
good to get another perspective.

Thanks again,

Julian