Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
thedons thedons is offline

Default Very Large Documents from small images grow

I have created a word document containing text of 0.97MB and images, mostly
..JPG and .wmf, which when you add the individual size of the images on disk
totals 3.78MB. The total volume I thought should be the sum of 0.97 + 3.78=
4.75MB, within the limits to send by e-mail. Wrong! The toatal size on disk
is 29.6MB. What can I do to reduce the size of the document with images to
5MB or less...? I look forward to some help.
MS Windows XP, Pro, Ver 2002, Service Pack 3. My computer is HP with Intel
Pentium 4, 260GHz, 760MB of RAM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Opinicus[_2_] Opinicus[_2_] is offline

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 00:33:01 -0700, thedons
wrote:

I have created a word document containing text of 0.97MB and images, mostly
.JPG and .wmf, which when you add the individual size of the images on disk
totals 3.78MB. The total volume I thought should be the sum of 0.97 + 3.78=
4.75MB, within the limits to send by e-mail. Wrong! The toatal size on disk
is 29.6MB. What can I do to reduce the size of the document with images to
5MB or less...?

First a question: What format are you using to save the document in?
..doc or .docx shouldn't give you that much expansion.

To reduce the file to within your limits you could try saving it as
..html. That should put the image files in a separate folder that you
can send along with the document. If the senders don't need to be able
to edit the document, your best bet would be to save (that is, print)
your document in .pdf or .jpg format. That should certainly bring it
to within your limit.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com