El Berto El Berto is offline
Junior Member

Default Placing numbers below pictures?

Hi everybody!
First I apologize, but my Word is not in english, so I don't know the correct english terms to describe the problem.

I'm writing a document, here an example:

1. Word processors under Windows S.O.

(here goes the test)

1.1 Microsoft Office Word

(here goes the text)

1.1.1 Microsoft Office Word 2003

(here goes the text)
(here goes image 1)
(here goes the text)
(here goes image 2)

1.1.2 Microdoft Office Word 2010

(here goes the text)
(here goes image 3)

I correctly format the document to obtain automatically 1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2 prefix before title.
Now I want place text below images to make summary.
If I insert the text below images I can have these results:

Image 1 or Image 2, then I can place description.
If I use chapter numbering I have Image 1.1 or Image 1.2.

But in my case I need this format: Image 1.1.1.1 for first image, Image 1.1.1.2 for second image, then Image 1.1.2.1 for third image.

Automatically I can have only chapter numbering prefix (1.x) instead full numbering (1.1.1.x).

Is it possible or this function is not available on Word?
Thanks.
Venky62 Venky62 is offline
Junior Member

It is a little tricky. The caption numbering changes for all the pictures, if you set a new chapter number for a picture you have just added.

Best is to add all the captions at the end, after you have placed all your pictures and written all your text.

Then insert caption under each picture and link to the appropriate heading. but you will see as the Heading level changes for later pictures the captions for pictures before that change to the same heading level. Doesn't matter. Finish adding all captions.
Then press Alt +F9
The field codes of the captions are revealed. It will be like this in word 2010:
{StyleRef 3\s}.{SEQ Figure\ * ARABIC \s 3}

Now the number 3 (at both places) here is the heading level. It will change according to the heading level under which the image has been placed. It will be 1 for Heading 1, 2 for Heading 2 and so on. If this number is different from the heading level it should be, change it to correct heading level. Once you have done this for all captions, then press Alt+F9 to hide all field codes. Select the entire document by Ctrl+A and Press F9 to update all fields. You should have the correct numbering of your captions.

It is a little tedious, but I do not know any simpler way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Berto View Post
[...]

Venky62 Venky62 is offline
Junior Member

Okay. This may be a simpler way. You can use ListNum fields instead of using the Insert Captions feature.

Try this out on one or two sections of your document and if it works well, you can use it for your whole document. But make a copy of the original document and try the method given below on the copy. In case it doesn't work out, you still have the unchanged original.

1. Remove the inserted caption, but let the word "Figure" remain. Or delete everything and type "Figure". Leave the cursor there and go to next step.
2. Go to Insert Menu; click on Quick Parts; select Fields.... The Field dialog box opens up. Under the Field Name choose ListNum.
3. In the options given on the right hand side panel,keep the List Name selected to (none) and in the Field Options, check the box next to "Level in the List" and enter a number which is one higher than the paragraph level under which you are adding the caption. e.g. if the caption is for a picture under a paragraph designated as Level 3 (1.1.1), then enter 4 in the field. Click okay. You should get the right numbering format (1.1.1.1). If you have another picture under the same paragraph, then repeat the process. That should give the number 1.1.1.2.