GK

Default Enable Macros and ActiveX Errors starting Word 2003

I'm getting numerous ActiveX errors when I open Word 2003.

I get the following, among other things:

"This application is about to initialize ActiveX controls that might be
unsafe. If you trust the source of this document, select Yes and the
control will be initialized using your document settings."

I also get:

"C:\Program Files\ScanSoft\NaturallySpeaking\Program\dgnworld. dll"
contains macros

Macros may contain viruses. It is usually safe to disable macros, but
if the macros are legitimate, you might lose some functionality."

"C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopOffice.dll"
contains macros

Macros may contain viruses. It is usually safe to disable macros, but
if the macros are legitimate, you might lose some functionality."

There's another one that comes up for Office11 dictation.dot.

Does anyone have a clue as to what's going on here?
rderize

GK:
ActiveX controls are used by many programs and web sites. Here is a brief
explanation from the Micorsoft Knowledge Base website that may or may not
help you to understand what "ActiveX controls" can do.
"ActiveX is an open integration platform that provides developers, users,
and Web producers a fast and easy way to create integrated programs and
content for the Internet and Intranets. Using ActiveX, you can easily insert
multimedia effects, interactive objects, and sophisticated programs into a
Web page, creating a user experience comparable to that of high quality
multimedia CD-ROM titles.
ActiveX is a standard that enables software components to interact with one
another in a networked environment, regardless of the language(s) used to
create them. Most World Wide Web (WWW) users will experience ActiveX
technology in the form of ActiveX controls, ActiveX documents, and ActiveX
scripts.
A key advantage of ActiveX controls over Java programs and Netscape plug-ins
is that ActiveX controls can also be used in programs written in many
programming languages, including all of the Microsoft programming and
database languages."

Because AcitveX controls are or can be programs, they can contain dangerous
viruses or spyware or malware. I suspect the reason you're seeing the
messages that you are, is that your security settings are set to inform you
when an ActiveX control is about to run. This is to give you the
opportunity to stop the ActiveX control from running. Since I am still
using Win98se and not WinXP I don't know how to tell you how to access your
security settings. Maybe someone else on this Newsgroup can. You can
always try the Windows Help file, too.