JCS Documentation

Default Incompatibility Between Word 2002 and 2003 Table Viewability

I work in Word 2003. I have a large document (300 pages) that is entirely
layed out in tables. (I do not have any input about this format or I would
change it away from tables ASAP.) Each section consists of a single table
whose row breaks across pages. This works great in Word 2003. However, when
the file is opened in Word 2002, the table doesn't span multiple pages. It
shows only the first page of the table.

I have tried multiple solutions, including selecting the Word 2002 settings
(in Word 2003), locking the document,, and more. (Of course, in Word 2003 you
can't save the document for Word 2002 because the differences between 2000,
2002, and 2003 aren't structurally substantial enough to warrent this
option.) I have done quite a bit of research and cannot locate any known
issues about this odd incompatibility between 2002 and 2003.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this issue and how to fix it? I
have a feeling it is a tiny little change, but I am at a complete loss.

thanks!
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:55:02 -0700, "JCS Documentation"
wrote:

[...]

I don't have a clue why the tables display correctly in Word 2003 if
they don't in Word 2002, but I can suggest something that at best may
fix 2002 and at worst won't break anything...

In Word 2002,click in a table that shows only one page. Go to Table
Table Properties and make sure the text wrapping is set to None. A
table that has text wrapping turned on becomes an object in the
drawing layer, which means it can't span a page break. Even if the
option appears to be set to None, click it and click OK. If that fixes
the problem, I can write you a small macro that will fix all the
tables in the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman