V-ger

Default Macros in 2003 multiple but connected problems?

These questions may be connected (new installation of Word 2K3/XP on all
workstations at location):

1. Writing very simple macros (change printer bins, add page numbering,
etc.) work until Word is shut down then never work again;
2. When macro inserts page numbering, header disappears and returns when
page numbering turned off; and,
3. The Organizer for "normal.dot (global template)" shows no macros created
- only New Macros so I can't copy them. I tried creating macros in the
normal.dot itself and on a blank page and get the same result in the
organizer.

I'm not certain if this is one question or two (or three). If I need to
repost, I can. I have turned the Security level to Low on each workstation
and I have read everything suggested by MVPs and other techs in previous
macro posts but, so far, to no avail. Does 2003 work differently with
macros? Please, any suggestions as to why the macros aren't working. These
are the same macros I have created for many other offices in other versions
of Word and they work just fine - very simple. Please help. Thank you so
much, in advance.

V-ger

Suzanne, thank you so much for your response. By overwritten, do you mean by
another Template/Add In? And why don't the macros I create list in the
Organizer so I can copy, etc. them?

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

Jay Freedman

In some business networks where all documents must be "by the book", the
administrators have set up login scripts that write an official copy of
Normal.dot from the server onto the local drive every day, overwriting the
existing one and wiping out any customizations the user may have made during
the previous session. IMHO this is a nasty Big-Brother-ish substitute for
proper training of users, but it does happen.

The Organizer never shows the names of individual macros, only the names of
the modules that contain them. "NewMacros" is the standard name Word uses
for the module that contains all recorded macros. To see the individual
macro names, you have to use the Tools Macro Macros dialog, or open the
VBA editor and look in the Project Explorer pane, expanding the icons until
you can double-click the NewMacros icon and see the macro code in the
editing pane.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Macros are stored in Normal.dot by default, and unless you
explicitly create a new module, they're created in NewMacros. If
macros are being lost, it could be because Normal.dot is not being
saved or is being overwritten.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

The only module you'll see in the Organizer from recording macros is the New
Macros module. The Organizer only copies modules, not individual macros.

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

No, although add-ins that meddle with Normal.dot can cause problems enough.
What I meant by "overwritten," however, was that you might have saved a
document as Normal.dot or renamed Normal.dot to create a new copy. These
problems are easy enough to solve. The harder issue is if you are on a
corporate network and some Net Nazi is "refreshing" your Normal.dot every
time you start up or (worse still) forcing you to use a read-only copy of
Normal.dot on the network.

If you want your macros to be listed separately, I believe you have to
create them from scratch in the VBA Editor, perhaps in a new module? I'm
VBA-illiterate, so this one should be followed up in one of the Word VBA
NGs.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Macros are stored in Normal.dot by default, and unless you explicitly

create
a new module, they're created in NewMacros. If macros are being lost, it
could be because Normal.dot is not being saved or is being overwritten.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

V-ger

Jay, awesome. Just what I needed. Thank you. I'll check that out when I go
there. (Not certain what IMHO means, I may be a little out of the loop with
acronyms.) Thank you so much for your input.
Also:
ANY ideas on why the Insert Page Number macro "erases" the header on the
letterhead? Thanks.

"V-ger" wrote in message
[...]

Charles Kenyon

I would suggest that for help with a specific macro that you post the code
of the macro (that you can get using the visual basic editor) in the
vba.beginners newsgroup with information on what you are trying to
accomplish, what is happening, and which version(s) of Word you are working
with.

IMHO = in my humble opninion
--

Charles Kenyon