Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac

Default Placement Of Text

Using Word 2000 9.0.2720

I have made a template with a table having 3 columns.

On the end columns I want to type so that the
characters are at 90o the center column, Left facing in
the left column and right facing in the right column.
(Like on the splines of a CD jewel case)

Can it be done and how?

The only thing I could find in help was to be able to
type like this:

àrsaidh-breac
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel

You can create vertical text by selecting 'Text Direction' from the Format
menu. The text mut be in a table cell or in a textbox.

"oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac" wrote in message
Using Word 2000 9.0.2720

I have made a template with a table having 3 columns.

On the end columns I want to type so that the characters are at 90o the
center column, Left facing in the left column and right facing in the
right column. (Like on the splines of a CD jewel case)

Can it be done and how?

The only thing I could find in help was to be able to type like this:

àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac

Jezebel wrote:
You can create vertical text by selecting 'Text Direction' from the Format
menu. The text mut be in a table cell or in a textbox.

Thank you but what I want to do is to be able to place
text in a vertical AND at a 90% right angle to the text
in the other columns.

àrsaidh-breac

"oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac" wrote in message

Using Word 2000 9.0.2720

I have made a template with a table having 3 columns.

On the end columns I want to type so that the characters are at 90o the
center column, Left facing in the left column and right facing in the
right column. (Like on the splines of a CD jewel case)

Can it be done and how?

The only thing I could find in help was to be able to type like this:

àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

What part of "You can do this" do you not understand? The text direction in
any cell is independent of the text direction in other cells. You can't have
two different text directions in the same cell, but you should be able to
split cells to meet that requirement.

Jezebel wrote:
You can create vertical text by selecting 'Text Direction' from the

Format
menu. The text mut be in a table cell or in a textbox.

Thank you but what I want to do is to be able to place
text in a vertical AND at a 90% right angle to the text
in the other columns.

àrsaidh-breac

"oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac" wrote in message

Using Word 2000 9.0.2720

I have made a template with a table having 3 columns.

On the end columns I want to type so that the characters are at 90o the
center column, Left facing in the left column and right facing in the
right column. (Like on the splines of a CD jewel case)

Can it be done and how?

The only thing I could find in help was to be able to type like this:

àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What part of "You can do this" do you not understand? The text direction in
any cell is independent of the text direction in other cells. You can't have
two different text directions in the same cell, but you should be able to
split cells to meet that requirement.

Thank you.

I don't want to have text going in different directions
in the same cell.

Lets say there are 3 columns. I want to have the text
in the left column at a 90% angle to the "normal" text
in the middle column and the text in the left colums at
a 90% angle to the center column.

The best example I can give is the back insert ina CD case.

--
àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jezebel

Just try the answer I offered. Select the first cell. Then use Format Text
Direction and set the angle to 90 degrees.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What part of "You can do this" do you not understand? The text direction
in
any cell is independent of the text direction in other cells. You can't
have
two different text directions in the same cell, but you should be able to
split cells to meet that requirement.

Thank you.

I don't want to have text going in different directions in the same cell.

Lets say there are 3 columns. I want to have the text in the left column
at a 90% angle to the "normal" text in the middle column and the text in
the left colums at a 90% angle to the center column.

The best example I can give is the back insert ina CD case.

--
àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Have you tried what we suggested? Type into all three columns. In Column 2
(or in Columns 1 and 3 if that's really what you mean), right-click and
choose Text Direction, then select which way you want the text rotated. If
you don't find Text Direction on the shortcut menu, it's on the Insert menu.

Note that you will not see the effects of this in Normal view; you must be
in Print Layout view to see the text rotated.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
What part of "You can do this" do you not understand? The text direction

in
any cell is independent of the text direction in other cells. You can't

have
two different text directions in the same cell, but you should be able

split cells to meet that requirement.

Thank you.

I don't want to have text going in different directions
in the same cell.

Lets say there are 3 columns. I want to have the text
in the left column at a 90% angle to the "normal" text
in the middle column and the text in the left colums at
a 90% angle to the center column.

The best example I can give is the back insert ina CD case.

--
àrsaidh-breac

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Have you tried what we suggested? Type into all three columns. In Column 2
(or in Columns 1 and 3 if that's really what you mean), right-click and
choose Text Direction, then select which way you want the text rotated. If
you don't find Text Direction on the shortcut menu, it's on the Insert menu.

Note that you will not see the effects of this in Normal view; you must be
in Print Layout view to see the text rotated.

A big thank you to you and to Jezebel.

What I thought was impossible has now been done.

Yours sincerely,

One happy camper,

--
àrsaidh-breac
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
oldtrout - àrsaidh-breac

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Have you tried what we suggested? Type into all three columns. In
Column 2
(or in Columns 1 and 3 if that's really what you mean), right-click and
choose Text Direction, then select which way you want the text
rotated. If
you don't find Text Direction on the shortcut menu, it's on the Insert
menu.

Note that you will not see the effects of this in Normal view; you
must be
in Print Layout view to see the text rotated.

A big thank you to you and to Jezebel.

What I thought was impossible has now been done.

Yours sincerely,

One happy camper,

Got the answer thanks.

--