Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NJSparky NJSparky is offline

Default Alt + F9 no longer works

Alt + F9 no longer toggles ALL the fields codes in my document. It is
functioning exactly the same as Shift + F9 and toggling the Table of Contents
code but nothing in the body of the document. I'm using Word 2000, SP3.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Did you try it several times? Sometimes when field codes are in different
states (as a result of Shift+F9 having been used to toggle specific ones),
it can take a couple of toggles to get everything in synch.

"NJSparky" wrote in message
Alt + F9 no longer toggles ALL the fields codes in my document. It is
functioning exactly the same as Shift + F9 and toggling the Table of

Contents
code but nothing in the body of the document. I'm using Word 2000, SP3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NJSparky NJSparky is offline

Yes I did. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of weird
upgrade issue. Testing throughout our office is netting the same result.
I'm also wondering if recreating the normal.dot may help? Its truly starting
to look like a corruption issue.

"NJSparky" wrote in message
Alt + F9 no longer toggles ALL the fields codes in my document. It is
functioning exactly the same as Shift + F9 and toggling the Table of

Contents
code but nothing in the body of the document. I'm using Word 2000, SP3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Before you rename Normal.dot, try this: Open Tools | Customize and click
Keyboard... Select any command at random and enter Alt+F9 as the new
shortcut key. Now look to see what it says the current assignment is. If
it's anything other than ViewFieldCodes, then you need to unassign whatever
it's assigned to and (possibly) reassign it to ViewFieldCodes (under All
Commands if you can't find it elsewhere).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you try it several times? Sometimes when field codes are in

different
states (as a result of Shift+F9 having been used to toggle specific

ones),
it can take a couple of toggles to get everything in synch.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"NJSparky" wrote in message
Alt + F9 no longer toggles ALL the fields codes in my document. It is
functioning exactly the same as Shift + F9 and toggling the Table of

Contents
code but nothing in the body of the document. I'm using Word 2000,

SP3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, I'm stumped. Are you sure the "field codes" you're trying to toggle
really *are* field codes? Perhaps they have been unlinked (if they're
displaying field results) or typed in as plain text (if they're displaying
what look like codes). If you set field shading to "Always" (Tools | Options
| View), are they shaded? Or it could be that they're locked; I'm not sure
how locked field codes behave when hit with Alt+F9.

"NJSparky" wrote in message
Alt + F9 no longer toggles ALL the fields codes in my document.

It is
functioning exactly the same as Shift + F9 and toggling the Table

of
Contents
code but nothing in the body of the document. I'm using Word

2000,
SP3.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?TkpTcGFya3k=?=,

Yes I did. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of weird
upgrade issue. Testing throughout our office is netting the same result.
I'm also wondering if recreating the normal.dot may help? Its truly starting
to look like a corruption issue.

do try starting in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL when starting Word). That will tell
you if it's a problem in Word, or something that was added to Word (could be
Normal.dot, could be another template, for example).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NJSparky NJSparky is offline

Thanks, Suzanne & Cindy. Recreating normal.dot appears to have resolved the
issue. Can't explain it, not cramping the brain cells over it, just know all
is well.
"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TkpTcGFya3k=?=,

Yes I did. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't some sort of weird
upgrade issue. Testing throughout our office is netting the same result.
I'm also wondering if recreating the normal.dot may help? Its truly starting
to look like a corruption issue.

do try starting in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL when starting Word). That will tell
you if it's a problem in Word, or something that was added to Word (could be
Normal.dot, could be another template, for example).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
virginia virginia is offline

I am having a similar problem, but I can't get the "Update TOC" function to
display the option to only update the page numbers. We recently updated from
2002 to 2003. The original TOC was created in the older version, but I am now
updating in 2003. Do you think this is an upgrade issue?

i would have posted this as a new question, but I can't get the "new" part
of this website to work.

Thanks for any insight.
--
Virginia

"NJSparky" wrote:

Thanks, Suzanne & Cindy. Recreating normal.dot appears to have resolved the
issue. Can't explain it, not cramping the brain cells over it, just know all
is well.

Hi ?B?TkpTcGFya3k=?=,