Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default Meaning of anchore icon for pictures.

Meaning of anchore icon for pictures.
I was unable to find proper explanation about the function of anchore icon
appreaing with figures or objects.
Through try and error I discovered that it is possible tochange the place of
this anchore and connect this anchore to a pragraph but the layout of the
page will change and object my fly to unwanted place. I think it is better to
drag the anchore to closest place to object like to its caption.
If there is any additional explanation regarding better usage of anchore
icon, I will be very happy to hear.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Graphics and other embedded objects are 'saved' within the paragraph mark of
a specific paragraph. The anchor shows you which paragraph. The significance
is ---

1. If you delete that paragraph mark, you delete the object also.

2. If you use relative positioning, the position is relative to the origin
of the paragraph.

3. The object is always on the same page as the anchor.

By default, Word moves the anchor automatically if you re-position the
object, so that it is anchored to the nearest paragraph. This is usually,
but not necessarily, the best choice. If the graphic is in a fixed position,
it may be better to anchor it to some fixed text, such as the heading. There
are also occasions when you want an object to appear on or under a table,
but you don't want it anchored to anything within the table.

You can lock the anchor so it does not move when you re-position the object.

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
Meaning of anchore icon for pictures.
I was unable to find proper explanation about the function of anchore icon
appreaing with figures or objects.
Through try and error I discovered that it is possible tochange the place
of
this anchore and connect this anchore to a pragraph but the layout of the
page will change and object my fly to unwanted place. I think it is better
drag the anchore to closest place to object like to its caption.
If there is any additional explanation regarding better usage of anchore
icon, I will be very happy to hear.
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Thanks a lot. It was very informative.
I can't find the anchore icon for some of my scanned objects in word. Is
there any exception for anchore icon? Or should it disappear if I change its
setting in format pictue. I should add this that for these objects (without
anchore icon) I can't bring the format picture now. An error message pops up
and says out of memory?!?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

As a test, I delete the entire paragraph but the object was not deleted.
moving the pragraph also dodn't move the object with its anchore. It seams
that anchore icon moves to next paragraph upon deleting the related paragraph.
Only when I move the anchore from one page to another, object comes with the
anchore. Am I doing something wrong or is there any specific setting in my
file?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The anchor icon appears only if the object is floating (not inline) and only
when the object is selected. Your query about the 'out of memory' message
was answered elsewhere.

"Jezebel" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you sure that you deleted the correct paragraph? In Word, you
create a new paragraph each time you press Enter, so it is quite
possible that what appears to be one paragraph is in fact two. Press
the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar to display nonprinting marks;
paragraph marks are displayed as ¶ symbols.

As Jezebel wrote, moving the object usually also moves the anchor. You
can drag the anchor to some paragraph and then lock it, to prevent it
from moving: Choose Format | object. The Advanced Layout dialog box
displays. In the dialog box, click the Layout tab, and then click the
Advanced button. Check the "Lock anchor" option.

The Advanced Layout dialog box also allows you to specify detailed
placement options for the object. If you want to prevent it from
moving on the page, clear the "Move with text" option. Clearing "Move
with text" implies absolute positioning. Note, however, that the
object will still move if you (a) cut the anchor paragraph and paste
it in a different page of the document, or (b) if text edits move the
anchor to the following (or previous) page.

Note 1. To show object anchors: On the Tools menu, click Options.
Click the View tab. Make sure that the "Object anchors"
option is selected, and click OK. Word displays the anchor for the
selected object.

Note 2. The inital position of the anchor, as you insert a floating
object, is the paragraph containing the insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP