MooseMan

Default Header/Footer Insert Autotext disabled?

I want to select filename option to place in footer of my template Word doc
so I don't have to go to ToolsInsert Field select Filename for every new
doc.
The item called Autotext is grayed out (disabled) in the Header/Footer
window. I am running Office Pro 2000 on WinXP Pro with SP2. I have
searched Help and the Knoledge Base for clues but found none. I had used
this feature when I was running the same product on my old slow Win98
machine. I'd guess somewhere I need to load something or other. Help would
be appreciated.

MooseMan

Suzanne,
I have created a new Normal.dot with custom margins and desired font. It
replaced the default Normal.dot. In past I was able to do that. I checked
InsertAutoCorrectAutotext and Look In was set to All active templates, I
changed it to Normal.dot (global template) the only other choice in the drop
down. It did not affect my problem. I closed Word and re-launched and that
setting changed back to All active template from Normal.dot.

Is it clear, the Header/Footer control window has grayed out Insert AutoText
which I believe has choice to insert the filename as a field in my footer.
Once set in the Normal.dot, when I create a new document and save it, the
filename would progogate the header location where I inserted the filename
field.

"MooseMan" wrote in message
I want to select filename option to place in footer of my template Word

doc
so I don't have to go to ToolsInsert Field select Filename for every new
doc.
The item called Autotext is grayed out (disabled) in the Header/Footer
window. I am running Office Pro 2000 on WinXP Pro with SP2. I have
searched Help and the Knoledge Base for clues but found none. I had used
this feature when I was running the same product on my old slow Win98
machine. I'd guess somewhere I need to load something or other. Help

would
be appreciated.

Normal.dot cannot be created by users, only by Word itself. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm and
€śWD2002: Styles and AutoText Are Not Copied to New Template Based on
Normal.dot€ť at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291441

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Either you have "Look in" set to something other than "All active

templates"
in Insert | AutoText | AutoText, or you have overwritten Normal.dot with

document or another template.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"MooseMan" wrote in message
I want to select filename option to place in footer of my template

Word
doc
so I don't have to go to ToolsInsert Field select Filename for every

new
doc.
The item called Autotext is grayed out (disabled) in the Header/Footer
window. I am running Office Pro 2000 on WinXP Pro with SP2. I have
searched Help and the Knoledge Base for clues but found none. I had

used
this feature when I was running the same product on my old slow Win98
machine. I'd guess somewhere I need to load something or other. Help

would
be appreciated.

MooseMan

Thanks. It may have been a previous version of Word that I was able to
change Normal.dot. Thanks for stearing me to these valuable docs. I
appreciate your help, I only wish search tools were more intuitive that I
could more often be successful finding the little morsels that I need when I
need them!

"MooseMan" wrote in message
I want to select filename option to place in footer of my template

Word
doc
so I don't have to go to ToolsInsert Field select Filename for every

new
doc.
The item called Autotext is grayed out (disabled) in the Header/Footer
window. I am running Office Pro 2000 on WinXP Pro with SP2. I have
searched Help and the Knoledge Base for clues but found none. I had

used
this feature when I was running the same product on my old slow Win98
machine. I'd guess somewhere I need to load something or other. Help
would
be appreciated.

It has never been possible for ordinary mortals to "create" Normal.dot. You
can certainly edit it, and you can force Word to create it from scratch, but
you can't substitute your personal template for Normal.dot without adverse
consequences.

"MooseMan" wrote in message
[...]

How do I save my AutoText file to transfer it to another PC? kd1s Microsoft Word Help 3 September 21st 05 07:39 AM
Insert > Autotext is missing "filename" and "filename and path"; how to get back? StargateFan New Users 7 February 7th 05 12:17 AM
simple word question rvance New Users 8 February 1st 05 02:16 AM
Autotext and overtype key KM1 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 31st 05 05:40 AM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM