Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] dan@punkrulz.com is offline

Default Download Document, Formatting Different between 2 PC's

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for the vague subject. I'm trying to condense as much
information as possible. My boss at work has been having a severe
issue with his Microsoft Word 2007 application. With his position he
is opening and modifying word documents constantly. His Word is fully
up to date, however occurred both before and after updating. He can
download a document from the Township's website onto his desktop, and
in the middle of the document he will have numerous formatting issues,
primarily many unnecessary tabs throughout the document. You open
this on his laptop, other computers, my computer, etc, all with the
same version of MS Office 2007 and there will not be any issues. I
have run out of places to turn to for assistance. This is also a Word
2003 document we're opening; unknown if it occurs to any .docx
documents.

I have done the following to try and resolve the issue:
1) Delete normal.dotm in order to let Word re-create the normal
template.
2) Changed the default printer, many times, as many users have stated
that the default printer will control document formatting.
3) Attempting to change style, format, view, etc, all within the
document, however that failed.
4) Uninstalling the Office 07 and 03 (it previously was an upgrade),
and simply installing the stand-alone version of Office 07.
5) Attempting both pre and post update.

I also noted it was strange that when you open the document on the bad
PC, the buttons on the bottom of the window that allow you to change
your view (print, outline, etc) are greyed out, however on all other
PC's that bar is fine.

Can someone please point me to the right direction for this? I really
hope you guys can help, this really is a strange issue. I am just
short of formatting the computer, and I really can't do that.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] dan.lewispcn@gmail.com is offline

Thanks for the reply Graham. Unfortunately when I first began
attempting to troubleshoot the problem, that was the first page that I
had come across. Nothing on that page was able to help me and put me
right back at square 1.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Lewis Dan Lewis is offline

Already has one of those too. She's the one who actually made the
document, but with his position within the township he's going to be
making numerous documents himself and reviewing them. Thanks though!

Anyone else?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Jul 16, 9:14*am, Dan Lewis wrote:
Already has one of those too. *She's the one who actually made the
document, but with his position within the township he's going to be
making numerous documents himself and reviewing them. *Thanks though!

Anyone else?

Does anyone else happen to have any other ideas regarding this issue?
It is becoming more and more serious, this user has to have document
accessibility.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Dan,

I'm not clear from your posting on whether or not this is only a single document, (if so can you provide a link to it on a website)
or if it's any document on this particular PC.

If PC related, do you get the same issue starting Word in Office safe mode (holding control key when starting).

You mentioned opening documents from the website. Are they being downloaded first and then opened? If not, you may want to use
Start=Programs=Accessories=Disk cleanup
and in Internet Explorer set the advanced Internet Options to include clearing the temporary files cache on exit from the browser,
but try downloading before opening.

You could have a bad user profile, if this is happening beyond just Word as far as the icons being a display issue.

===============
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Lewis Dan Lewis is offline

Thanks for the reply Bob, I'm sorry it took me so long to get this...
no notifications were sent.

It's any document on this particular PC. His primary complaint was
that any document he opens, will somehow be broken up into 2 pages. I
usually see this as being caused by an added line break at the top,
when I remove that the text will be on one page. However on one
particular document (Which you can access he http://www.punkrulz.com/files/traffic.doc)
you can see a bunch of randomly inserted tabs as you get lower in the
page on one of the paragraphs. I looked at the computer that the
document was actually typed up on, and there don't appear to be any
issues regarding that.

I also attempted to open the document in safe mode, and the issue kept
occurring. I even logged in as a new user profile, and the problem
still happens so it's definitely system wide to that machine. I don't
know what else to do besides reformatting the computer. We don't have
any support with Microsoft, and this user would rather purchase a new
PC rather than use this one ever again. My hands are tied behind my
back and I've already been working on this issue for a really long
time.

Also, the document in question was also emailed to him directly. I
know I've cleared out his temp files when removing Office 2007, but I
also know that they wouldn't have been a part when receiving it
directly via email.

On Jul 22, 12:56*am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

* *Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*