Wooding

Default Fixing an Auto Date

I've made a letter-heading template that contains a date field that is
automatically filled with the current date when the letter is written.
The trouble is, if I need to look at the soft-copy some time later, the
date field is updated to the new date. How can I get the date to be
inserted automatically when the letter is created, but then stay the
same when examined several days/weeks later?

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
TF

Change (in the template) the date field to the CreateDate field. In the
template, the field will display the date the template was created: when you
open a document based on the template, it will display the current date
(because the document has just been created) and will remain that date
forever.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Wooding" wrote in message
: I've made a letter-heading template that contains a date field that is
: automatically filled with the current date when the letter is written.
: The trouble is, if I need to look at the soft-copy some time later, the
: date field is updated to the new date. How can I get the date to be
: inserted automatically when the letter is created, but then stay the
: same when examined several days/weeks later?
:
: --
:
: Regards, Gary Wooding
: (To reply by email, change feet to foot in my address)

Wooding

TF wrote:
Change (in the template) the date field to the CreateDate field. In the
template, the field will display the date the template was created: when you
open a document based on the template, it will display the current date
(because the document has just been created) and will remain that date
forever.

Thanks guys.
I changed the template to CreateDate and new documents now get an
indelible date inserted exactly as required.
I misread your riders though; I got the impression that the template
would display its own creation date after the change, but it now shows
the date it was changed. Its not a problem, just unexpected after
reading the rider.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding

Wooding

TF wrote:
Change (in the template) the date field to the CreateDate field. In the
template, the field will display the date the template was created:

Its amazing how easy it is to give the wrong impression. The information
I got from Terry and Graham solved my problem and the template then
worked exactly as I originally expected, which was to display the date I
changed to CreateDate. Documents based on the revised template now work
as wanted.
It was the snippet quoted above that fooled me. I read it literally and
it seemed to say "Change (in the template) ... the CreateDate ... will
display the date the template was _created_:". It didn't, of course. It
displayed the date the template was _changed_. That's all. I'm happy.
Everything is now working fine.

--

Regards, Gary Wooding
TF

That's correct. If you open a document (or template) and save it with a
different name, it becomes a newly created document (or template) so the
CreateDate will update too.

Terry