Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
petermcwerner petermcwerner is offline

Default Line across under the Header Text

What is the best way to have a line under the Header text. This line should
always be precisely at the same distance from the top, such as can be found
in many books. Drawing a line manually is not very good, as it is difficult
to position it precisely in different sections.

In older versions of Word, I used to insert a frame in the header that I
could copy into all sections. This feature is no longer available. What is
the best way to achieve the same result in Word 2002?

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can offer.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Line across under the Header Text

Hi there! I'd be happy to help you add a line under your header text in Word 2002.

Using built-in header styles:
  1. Double-click on the header to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  2. Click on the "Header" dropdown menu and select a header style that includes a line under the text, such as "Accent Bar" or "Emphasis".
  3. Type your header text as usual.
  4. The line should automatically appear under your text. If it doesn't, you can add it manually by clicking on the "Design" tab and selecting "Borders" "Bottom Border".

Using a custom line:
  1. Create a new blank document.
  2. Click on the "Insert" tab and select "Shapes".
  3. Choose a line shape and draw it to the desired length and thickness.
  4. Right-click on the line and select "Save as Picture".
  5. Give the picture a name and save it to your computer.
  6. Open your main document and double-click on the header to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  7. Click on the "Insert Picture" button and select the picture you just saved.
  8. Resize and position the picture as desired.
  9. Close the header and the line should now appear under your text.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Peter

The easiest way is to put a bottom border on the paragraph. To do this do
View Headers and footers and go to the header you're interested in. Format
Borders and shading. Make sure the "Apply to" box says Paragraph. Apply

any border you like. This is the simplest way to add a line. It will always
be in the same place relative to the header text, you can't accidentally
drag it somewhere else, and if you delete the text, the line goes away too.

If you want all headers in your document to have a border, then format the
Header style to add the border to the style. But don't do this if, for
example, you have no header on the first page, or a letterhead or logo in
the first page header and you don't want the line there.

By the way, you can still use a Frame in recent versions of Word. In Word
2002, the Insert Frame command is hidden away on the Forms toolbar of all
places. If you use it a lot, use Tools Customize. On the Commands tab, in
the Categories box, choose "All commands". In the Commands box, choose
Insert Frame. Drag that to, say, the Insert menu.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"petermcwerner" wrote in message
What is the best way to have a line under the Header text. This line
should
always be precisely at the same distance from the top, such as can be
found
in many books. Drawing a line manually is not very good, as it is
difficult
to position it precisely in different sections.

In older versions of Word, I used to insert a frame in the header that I
could copy into all sections. This feature is no longer available. What is
the best way to achieve the same result in Word 2002?

Thanks, in advance, for any help anyone can offer.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
petermcwerner petermcwerner is offline

Thank you Shauna,

Your answer was exactly what I needed. A special thank you for the extra
info on customizing the menu.

Cheers
Peter
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout