Holly

Default Inserting merged information into a footer

I have a number of Word documents where the client ID is merged at the top of
the 1st page (not in a header) and also in the footer of all the subsequent
pages. This has been working wonderfully for years, but recently, several
newer documents will only merge the information into the top of the 1st page
but NOT the footer. Is there a setting Ive accidentally changed? Any other
ideas of whats different? Thanks.

Some fields in the header or footer do not update automatically as they once
did, so you may need to update them manually. How are you inserting the
information in the footer? Using a MergeField, a REF field, or what? FWIW,
you may find that the most satisfactory way to accomplish this is as
follows:

1. Create a character style based on Default Paragraph Font that differs
from the DPF only in name.

2. Apply that character style to the client ID merge field.

3. In the footer, put a StyleRef field to pick up that character style.

StyleRef fields update automatically (instantly), so they are more
satisfactory than REF fields.

"Holly" wrote in message
I have a number of Word documents where the client ID is merged at the top

of
the 1st page (not in a header) and also in the footer of all the

subsequent
pages. This has been working wonderfully for years, but recently, several
newer documents will only merge the information into the top of the 1st

page
but NOT the footer. Is there a setting Ive accidentally changed? Any

other
ideas of whats different? Thanks.

Holly

Thanks, Suzanne for responding so quickly. These arent updated fields. As
Im creating new documents for a new client I have the document template
(sometimes its an actual Word template, sometimes its just a Word document
not labeled a template that I reuse) yet up with merge fields (as described
in the original question). Previously when I merged to a new document, all
the merge fields were populated with the client ID information, now, in these
newer forms Ive created, it wont put the client ID information into the
footer, however, when tested my older documents still merge this information
into the footer.

"Holly" wrote in message
I have a number of Word documents where the client ID is merged at the top

of
the 1st page (not in a header) and also in the footer of all the

subsequent
pages. This has been working wonderfully for years, but recently, several
newer documents will only merge the information into the top of the 1st

page
but NOT the footer. Is there a setting Ive accidentally changed? Any

other
ideas of whats different? Thanks.

Holly

I FIGURED IT OUT! I suspect I cut and pasted footer for the new document
from an old document. When I deleted this cut and pasted merge fields,
instead inserting them, IT WORKS! Thanks for your time.