TOC Help-less

Default Table of Contents - formatting errors, incomplete/ incorrect updat

I am working on a document template created by someone else. I have added
content to the template and am trying to update the TOC. Here are the errors
that I'm getting after I update:
1) "Error, bookmark not defined" instead of page numbers. I have followed
the standard helptext and it has not resolved the issue, despite multiple
attempts.
2) Page numbers out of alignment with the rest of the TOC (indented from
right)
3) Inappropriate line breaks and spacing, i.e. part of a heading appears on
the first line and the second half and page number appear on the second.

Myself and several others have tried to correct this. I have gone through
the document and set everything to the correct heading style. That didn't
work, so I tried levels. Still no luck, so I tried manual tags, and then
went back to headings again. Nothing seems to yield the desired result. My
document is not that long, and only has one TOC (why is this so hard and why
is the helptext so unhelpful?!). I'd appreciate any advice and counsel that
you can provide. THANKS!
Shauna Kelly

Hi TOC Help-less

For a quick how-to on Tables of Contents, see
How to create a table of contents in Microsoft Word
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html

If you have Word 2003 and you're in an environment in which you can listen
to audio, see
http://office.microsoft.com/training...RC011356771033
for a fuller introduction.

I suspect that your headings are probably a bit of a mess by now. For each
heading, I would triple-click to select the whole paragraph, and then do
ctrl-q and ctrl-spacebar. That will remove any direct formatting that might
be getting in the way of the TOC being properly generated.

And, click the ¶ button on the toolbar, which will will display a ¶ mark for
the end of every paragraph, and a curved arrow for each end-of-line mark.
There may be end-of-line marks in the middle of headings that you weren't
expecting.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.