Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Default Cross Reference

You are not supposed to type in the "For which heading" box. The box will
show all items to which you can insert a cross-reference of the selected
type. When you select "Heading" as the reference type, the box will show all
paragraphs formatted with one of the built-in heading styles (Heading 1-9)
and you only need to select the desired heading. What you need to do:

Change the formatting of your heading to the appropriate heading style (e.g.
Heading 1). In your document, type "For more information, see ". Now open the
Cross-reference dialog box and select "Heading" in the "Reference type" field
and select "Heading text" in "Insert reference to" field as you did before.
In the "For which heading" box, you should now see your heading - click on
the heading to select it. Turn off "Insert as hyperlink" if you do not want
the inserted cross-reference to function as a hyperlink. Then click "Insert".

The cross-reference is now inserted as a field that points to the heading.
If you change the heading text, you need to update the cross-reference field
to show the new text. You can update all fields by pressing Ctrl+A to select
all, then press F9 to update fields.

Note that if you do not want to format your heading with a heading style,
you must bookmark the heading (select the heading, then select Insert
Bookmark, type a bookmark name and click Add). You can the insert a
cross-reference to the bookmark.

I highly recommend that you set up fields to always appear with gray shading
on the screen so that you can easily identify the fields (select Tools
Options View tab Field shading Always). The gray shading does not print.

For information about using styles, see:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/concepts/styles/

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"KC" wrote:

I can't get it to work. I type "For more information, see General Comments"
in my document ("General Comments" is the heading I want to cross reference
to) In Reference Type I click on heading In Insert reference to
box I click on heading text In the for which box I can't
type anything in it.