Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gray Gray is offline

Default cross-reference link

I have a problem with cross-references to figures. I am using Microsoft Word
2002 (10.6612.6626) SP3. The problem is as follows. The cross-reference links
appear all right when the document is first loaded. However, when I choose
"Print Preview" from the File menu, the links occupy very large space, i.e.,
in front of the reference text, it appears a drawing box is attached.I have
to delete the link and re-insert it. However, sometimes the problem occurs
again. I wish I could attach a picture. But the link looked like the
following,

......text....(
+----------+
| |
| |
+----------+Figure 3).....text.....
the block appears to be a drawing box.

How do I address this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Margaret Aldis Margaret Aldis is offline

Your problem is that Word "catching" other text into the bookmark it uses
for the cross reference. This usually occurs when you insert text with your
cursor at the start of a (bookmarked) paragraph, though it sounds like it
could possibly be that a graphic is getting anchored to the caption without
your intervention.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Gray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've probably managed to get something inside the bookmark created by the
cross-reference. When you update fields by going to Print Preview, this is
included in the cross-reference. If you delete and recreate the
cross-reference, does this help? If not, you'll need to specifically reapply
the bookmark. Do this by selecting just the portion of text you want
bookmarked, go to Insert | Bookmark, check "Show hidden bookmarks" and
select "By location." The bookmark that is highlighted will be the one for
your cross-reference. Click Add to reapply it to your selected text.

"Gray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gray Gray is offline

Thanks a lot! It did help after I deleted the cross-reference and recreate
the cross-reference.

It seems to me I did the same thing for all the bookmarks and the
cross-references; however, some of the cross-references had problems and some
did not. I am getting frustrated because the problem can be discovered
sometimes when the document is actually printed and it is quite difficult for
me check every little reference spanning every where in a hundred-page
document.

Is there any way that I can see what could be included in the bookmark when
I create cross-reference?

Thanks a lot!

"Gray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you first create the cross-reference, it will include only what you
intend to include. But if you've created your caption first and then go back
and add text or a graphic above it, you're very likely to get inside the
bookmark. You will certainly do so if you create a new paragraph by pressing
Enter at the beginning of the caption paragraph. To be on the safe side,
create a new paragraph by pressing Enter at the end of the paragraph above
the caption.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You've probably managed to get something inside the bookmark created by

the
cross-reference. When you update fields by going to Print Preview, this

is
included in the cross-reference. If you delete and recreate the
cross-reference, does this help? If not, you'll need to specifically

reapply
the bookmark. Do this by selecting just the portion of text you want
bookmarked, go to Insert | Bookmark, check "Show hidden bookmarks" and
select "By location." The bookmark that is highlighted will be the one

for
your cross-reference. Click Add to reapply it to your selected text.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.