Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yendorian Yendorian is offline

Default auto merge field

I have a straightforward Excel database and want to embed the files in a Word
doc. Each time I try to merge the fields, I get a window in which some of the
fields are displayed but not under their correct column nam (e.g. Surname,
Forename etc) but AutoMergeFie. Can anyone help me to rectify this as I don't
want to automerge. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?WWVuZG9yaWFu?=,

I have a straightforward Excel database and want to embed the files in a Word
doc. Each time I try to merge the fields, I get a window in which some of the
fields are displayed but not under their correct column nam (e.g. Surname,
Forename etc) but AutoMergeFie. Can anyone help me to rectify this as I don't
want to automerge.

I'm confused. You want to use an Excel file embedded in Word document as a mail
merge data source?

Or perhaps we're not agreeing on what "embed" means :-) Do you mean you just
want to merge the data into a Word document? ("Embed" is what happens when you
use Insert/Object/Create from File.)

Which version of Word are we discussing?

Does the range of data you want to merge start in the first row, of the first
worksheet in the workbook?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

"Yendorian" wrote in message
I have a straightforward Excel database and want to embed the files in a
Word
doc. Each time I try to merge the fields, I get a window in which some of
the
fields are displayed but not under their correct column nam (e.g. Surname,
Forename etc) but AutoMergeFie. Can anyone help me to rectify this as I
don't
want to automerge. Thanks

Hi, Thanks for replying. I am using OFFICE 2003 Pro. I'm new to this game but realise now that my Excel file had empty column headings on Sheet1 which were presumably causing the problem. I've checked them all and it's working fine now.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Yendorian Yendorian is offline

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?WWVuZG9yaWFu?=,

[...]

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for replying and apologies for using the incorrect terms! I just want
to embed the data from EXCEL into a WORD doc.
I'm using OFFICE 2003 Pro.
I've found that the first Sheet on my database contained empty cells which
was causing the problem. I've since rectified this and it seems to be working
properly now.
Thanks for replying