Bob Swan

Default How do I prevent importing unwanted styles into a template

When I get a document to format in a specific tremplate I find that template
gets cluttered with all the styles in the document. Can I prevent this
happening?
Jay Freedman

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Bob Swan

Thanks for the response but I obviously didn't frame the question well. I
receive a document from someone, full of styles that they created (or worse).
My wonderful.dot template doesn't have those style names in it but still
seems to adopt them. Is there any way I can prvent this without using the
Organizer? Can I ask Word to, say, convert all unknown styles to 'normal'?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bob Swan wrote:
When I get a document to format in a specific tremplate I find that
template gets cluttered with all the styles in the document. Can I
prevent this happening?

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Graham Mayor

The styles in the documents are not 'unknown' they are saved in the
document. The only way you can lose them is to change them to something
else. Documents should have styles to provide the formatting. Word is a
style driven application.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Bob Swan wrote:
When I get a document to format in a specific tremplate I find that
template gets cluttered with all the styles in the document. Can I
prevent this happening?

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/atta...ate/index.html and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Margaret Aldis

If you have Word 2003, look at Protecting for Styles - that should do what
you want, but will mean that you too must stick strictly to the styles of
wonderful.dot.

Other possibilities are to paste unformatted, or use the Paste Options
button to "Match Destination Formatting" (which will convert all to the
style you paste into).

Yet another option is the "halfway house" approach - I often paste into a
scratch document with my styles, then use the Styles and Formatting pane
with Keep Track of Formatting On to tidy up any styles or direct formatting
I don't like the look of, then finally paste clean into the target document.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP