Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jergy Jergy is offline

Default Moving csv. database into Merge Mail

When I was with a company that went bankrupt, I bought a database file with
info on 2300 businesses in my area, including addresses. It is in csv. which
the tech guy told was a good general format to be compatible with various
office applications. I am trying to get it (an edited version) into Merge
Mail. I have reached Step 3, Select recipients using an existing list (to
address envelopes.) I cannot get my file past Merge Mail. Can I convert it
to one of the file types that Word accepts without retyping the whole thing.
Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jergy Jergy is offline

"Jergy" wrote:

When I was with a company that went bankrupt, I bought a database file with
info on 2300 businesses in my area, including addresses. It is in csv. which
the tech guy told was a good general format to be compatible with various
office applications. I am trying to get it (an edited version) into Merge
Mail. I have reached Step 3, Select recipients using an existing list (to
address envelopes.) I cannot get my file past Merge Mail. Can I convert it
to one of the file types that Word accepts without retyping the whole thing.
Thanx!

I forgot to mention that I am using Office 2003 Professional.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Although I believe Word *can* use CSV as a mail merge data source, it's easy
enough to convert it to a table, which Word can use easily. Select the text
and use Table | Convert | Text to Table, separating at commas. This will put
each record in a row of the table. If you don't already have a heading row,
add one so that the merge fields will have names.

"Jergy" wrote in message
When I was with a company that went bankrupt, I bought a database file

with
info on 2300 businesses in my area, including addresses. It is in csv.

which
the tech guy told was a good general format to be compatible with various
office applications. I am trying to get it (an edited version) into Merge
Mail. I have reached Step 3, Select recipients using an existing list (to
address envelopes.) I cannot get my file past Merge Mail. Can I convert

it
to one of the file types that Word accepts without retyping the whole

thing.
Thanx!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline