Insert File (Range) does not work on different Work Stations

Old December 15th 06, 02:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lynda Kinley

Default Insert File (Range) does not work on different Work Stations

I wonder if you can help with this unusual problem. At my place of work, we
share Word documents and Data sources out on a network drive. Anyone may
extract data from our database and use one of our prewritten Word 2003 mail
merge documents to merge the data source with. We are having a problem with
different installations of Word 2003 not able to recognize a bookmark in a
mail merge document. For example, we might have a bookmark that comes from
an Insert/File/Range/Insert as link document. When different stations run
this mail merge, some stations do not recognize the bookmark that is being
inserted into the merged document. Everyone is running the same version of
Word--Word 2003.

Is there some setting that each station needs to have to recognize this
bookmark? Any help would be appreciated.

Old December 15th 06, 04:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi Lynda,

The problem may be due to the link path not applying to all of the installations.

If you select the problem field and press Shift-F9, you'll be able to see the path Word is using. This is an absolute path and won't
change from workstation to workstation. If, for example, the designated drive or server (if that's used in the path) isn't the same
for the other workstations, then the link path won't be valid. Unless the users are to be expected to update the paths, you'll need
to ensure the data sources are on a path that is common to all.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

Old December 15th 06, 12:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lynda Kinley

The problem does not seem to be the path. It is the same for all stations.
I wonder if there is some kind of merge setting that needs to be the same on
all computers.

"macropod" wrote in message
Hi Lynda,

The problem may be due to the link path not applying to all of the
installations.

If you select the problem field and press Shift-F9, you'll be able to see
the path Word is using. This is an absolute path and won't
change from workstation to workstation. If, for example, the designated
drive or server (if that's used in the path) isn't the same
for the other workstations, then the link path won't be valid. Unless the
users are to be expected to update the paths, you'll need
to ensure the data sources are on a path that is common to all.

Cheers

--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Lynda Kinley" wrote in message
| I wonder if you can help with this unusual problem. At my place of
work, we
| share Word documents and Data sources out on a network drive. Anyone
may
| extract data from our database and use one of our prewritten Word 2003
mail
| merge documents to merge the data source with. We are having a problem
with
| different installations of Word 2003 not able to recognize a bookmark in
| mail merge document. For example, we might have a bookmark that comes
from
| an Insert/File/Range/Insert as link document. When different stations
run
| this mail merge, some stations do not recognize the bookmark that is
being
| inserted into the merged document. Everyone is running the same version
of
| Word--Word 2003.
|
| Is there some setting that each station needs to have to recognize this
| bookmark? Any help would be appreciated.

How do I insert Adobe Acrobat File (multiple pages) into Word doc Brent Microsoft Word Help 4 August 20th 12 08:35 PM
Mailmerge template stephen Mailmerge 8 August 18th 06 02:19 PM
HOw to decrypt a word doc Yasser Shahzad Qureshi Microsoft Word Help 10 April 21st 06 11:08 PM
How do I insert an XSD file in word document JKG Microsoft Word Help 1 October 8th 05 01:20 AM
Insert a file into a merge field kim Mailmerge 1 July 18th 05 05:13 PM