StargateFan

Default Insert > Autotext is missing "filename" and "filename and path"; how to get back?

I don't know where these have gone to in my current normal.dot, but
they're gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Thanks.

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
I don't know where these have gone to in my current normal.dot, but
they're gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Thanks.

StargateFan

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:03:43 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

The second option sounds like a winner as I couldn't live without my
normal.dot! g As always, I'll try to see what I can find in the
help and on the web. I don't have a whole lot of luck with these
types of searches, but I always try. g

Thanks.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know where these have gone to in my current normal.dot, but
they're gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Thanks.

StargateFan

wrote:

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

[snip]

As always, I'll try to see what I can find in the
help and on the web. I don't have a whole lot of luck with these
types of searches, but I always try. g

Hold the presses, hold the presses!! Can't believe I figured
something out on my own! g I'm not always able to.

For others like me who are programming, etc., dimwits and are just
intuitive power users vbg, I just typed in "FILENAME \p" in the
field codes' box that comes up when you click on INSERT FIELD...

No pathname showed initially, but when I saved it then re-opened the
file, the full file and path were there in the footer. I imagine this
would work anywhere, too.

Thanks so much! You're a lifesaver again. I need to send a doct. to
my supervisor and another to my boss promising to fix the lack of
pathname only not to find it. sigh I'm out of the fat in the fire
now! g

[snip]

For future reference, you can rename Normal.dot, copy the relevant AutoText
entries from the new Normal.dot to the renamed one, then delete the new one
and rename the old one back to Normal.dot. This would be the most efficient
approach if you'd lost more than a couple of AutoText entries (though
usually that happens only if you've saved a document as Normal.dot, in which
case you have more problems than just AutoText), but in your case recreating
the entries was the better way.

wrote:

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

The second option sounds like a winner as I couldn't live without my
normal.dot! g As always, I'll try to see what I can find in the
help and on the web. I don't have a whole lot of luck with these
types of searches, but I always try. g

Thanks.

so
all may benefit.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know where these have gone to in my current normal.dot, but
they're gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Thanks.

StargateFan

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 07:57:19 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

For future reference, you can rename Normal.dot, copy the relevant AutoText
entries from the new Normal.dot to the renamed one, then delete the new one
and rename the old one back to Normal.dot. This would be the most efficient
approach if you'd lost more than a couple of AutoText entries (though
usually that happens only if you've saved a document as Normal.dot, in which
case you have more problems than just AutoText), but in your case recreating
the entries was the better way.

Ah, this somehow keeps everything else about your customized
Normal.dot? That's the impression I get from above.

Yes, if it does that, that will be a good thing to know because after
this thread, I went and opened various Word installations that I could
get into and saw that autotext varies from installation to
installation. This is the first time I'd been without the pathname
(something I use consistently and has never not been there which is
why I never noticed this behaviour).

Thanks!

wrote:

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

The second option sounds like a winner as I couldn't live without my
normal.dot! g As always, I'll try to see what I can find in the
help and on the web. I don't have a whole lot of luck with these
types of searches, but I always try. g

Thanks.

so
all may benefit.

"StargateFan" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know where these have gone to in my current normal.dot, but
they're gone. Is there a way to get these back?

Thanks.

Yes, this preserves all your other customizations because you are
(ultimately) keeping your original Normal.dot (assuming it has not been
overwritten by a document).

wrote:

Well, you could rename Normal.dot, or you could create them yourself;
they're just { FILENAME } and { FILENAME \p } fields.

The second option sounds like a winner as I couldn't live without my
normal.dot! g As always, I'll try to see what I can find in the
help and on the web. I don't have a whole lot of luck with these
types of searches, but I always try. g

Thanks.

newsgroup
so