pla

Default Problems with Section Breaks

I have a Letter document with two Next Page section breaks, one in the middle
of the document and one at the end of the document. When I merge in the
data, Word replaces my two Next Page section breaks with Continuous section
breaks. This entirely messes up all my formatting. I've tried replacing the
last Next Page section break with a Continuous break before merging, and I
get the same result. I think the problem may be related to the fact that I'm
putting the breaks in an IF field. But if I put the breaks outside the IF
field, I end up with a lot of extra pages if the IF condition isn't met.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?cGxh?=,

I have a Letter document with two Next Page section breaks, one in the middle
of the document and one at the end of the document. When I merge in the
data, Word replaces my two Next Page section breaks with Continuous section
breaks. This entirely messes up all my formatting. I've tried replacing the
last Next Page section break with a Continuous break before merging, and I
get the same result. I think the problem may be related to the fact that I'm
putting the breaks in an IF field. But if I put the breaks outside the IF
field, I end up with a lot of extra pages if the IF condition isn't met.

I'd say, try merging as a Catalog (Directory) rather than as a letter. Just put
a Page Break at the end of the current document, then delete the last one from
the merge result. Oh, and make sure that "Next Page" is set as the type of
section break in File/Page Setup/Layout in the main merge document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)