Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jean Chicago Jean Chicago is offline

Default how do I format a numbered list where only first line is indented?

I like to use numbers for paragraphs in the same essential formatting as the
rest of the text: first line indented, the rest flush with all text.
The only way I've figured how to do this is to laboriously format each list
by clicking until I direct the software to indent only the first line (versus
"hanging"). But I cannot save this style as a unique style, or alter the
"list paragraph" style or the "normal" style or any other pre-made style -
the modification isn't recognized. It's as if Word 2007 requires all
numbered lists to have margins that line up with the number.
Ridiculous! Does anyone have a work-around?
(It's not a cure to turn off auto-numbering, because then you lose the
ability to renumber the paragraphs automatically.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

In the Define New Multilevel List dialog, you can set the indents for the
first and subsequent lines and link the number format to a style.

http://word.mvps.org