Jose

Default Attaching Expansion Pack to Word Documents - Puzzling Problem

I need help solving a very puzzling problem with expansion pack attachment
to a Smart Word Document.

Background
We have developed a workflow system that is based on Sharepoint Services,
Infopath forms for data entry, and Smart Word documents for data display and
documentation. Data entered through Infopath forms is stored in SQL Server.
On command, these data is retrieved to populate the Word template available
from a Sharepoint Services site. The Smart Word document has a custom panel
that contains text controls and dropdown controls and are used to data or
filter database data. The Sharepoint Services template has an attached schema
and expansion pack

The system has been successfully used for about 5 months in a network
compossed of Windows 2003 server and Windows XP clients.

Problem
Suddenly last week, the expansion pack no longer downloads from the server
when a smart document is requested out of the Sharepoint site. Instead, a
message requests: "Do you want to download the XML expansion pack? Clicking
Yes, causes another message to be displayed: "The file could not be displayed
because there is a problem with the security certificate. The expansion pack
may not work as expected..." This problem exists on each of the clients in
which the system used to work

Incidentally, we do not work with security certificates. Because the system
was under trial use, we used the DisableManifestSecurityCheck.reg tool to
reduce security in the folder containing the expansion pack. I used the tool
again to ensure the secutity was dissabled, but the problem subsists

We have not added any new app features or done any work at all with the
stmart doc. The only changes made to the server and the clients during the
period in which the system stopped working have involved installing security
patches that were automatically downloaded from the Microsoft site.

Incidentally, if I open the smart Word document in the server itself, the
expansion pack links correctly and the document works normally, as it used to
work in the clients.

Finally, the problem exists even when I took the Smart Word document out of
the Sharepoint Services site and treated it as a stand-alone Word Template.

This is a lot of words, but the problem is puzzling. I can only think that
some of the latest security patches are responsible. Any help to resolve this
problem will be appreciated. Ironically, we were almost ready to release the
system for actual production when the system failed and we are now scrambling
to keep the project alive

Thanks

Jose
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9zZQ==?=,

I need help solving a very puzzling problem with expansion pack attachment
to a Smart Word Document.

You should address this question to a more appropriate group; I suggest
office.developer.smarttags. There have also been some discussions along this
line in office.developer.sdks

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Comparing Documents in Word 2003 and Word 2002 - VERY Weird Proble Joshua Gray Microsoft Word Help 5 February 18th 05 10:09 PM
how to convert wordperfect 5.0 floppy files to word pcoelho Microsoft Word Help 2 February 17th 05 07:55 PM
word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
How do I convert a cd in word perfect to microsoft word greylady Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:03 PM