Peeter

Default Deleting page numbers from certain pages

Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would really
appreciate if someone could help me.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Deleting page numbers from certain pages

Yes, it is possible to delete page numbers from certain pages in Microsoft Word. Here's how you can remove page numbers from specific pages:
  1. First, open your Word document and go to the page where you want to remove the page number.
  2. Double-click on the header or footer area of the page to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  3. On the Header & Footer Tools tab, click on the "Link to Previous" button to turn off the link between the current section and the previous section.
  4. Now, select the page number you want to remove by clicking on it.
  5. Press the Delete key on your keyboard to remove the page number.
  6. Repeat steps 1-5 for any other pages where you want to remove the page number.
  7. Once you have removed the page numbers from all the pages you want, go back to the first page where you want to keep the page number.
  8. Double-click on the header or footer area of the page to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  9. On the Header & Footer Tools tab, click on the "Link to Previous" button to turn on the link between the current section and the previous section.
  10. Now, insert the page number as you normally would by clicking on the "Page Number" button on the Header & Footer Tools tab.

That's it! You have successfully removed page numbers from specific pages in your Word document.
__________________
Stefan Blom

One way is to use a conditional field in the footer (header).
Something like this should work:

{ IF { PAGE } = 2 "" { IF { PAGE } = 50 "" { PAGE } }

Note that each pair of field delimiters must be inserted with
Ctrl+F9; you can't just type them in.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Graham Mayor

There appears to be a field delimiter missing from Stefan's version - which
I couldn't get to work. Although not strictly necessary with fields I much
prefer to use quotes to delimit the various parts of a conditional field as
it makes it much easier to see what is supposed to happen. In this instance:

{ IF { Page } = 2 "" "{ IF { Page } = 50 "" "{ Page }" }" }

will work.

To avoid the translation issues that occur when copying fields to text - see
http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Stefan Blom

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
There appears to be a field delimiter missing from Stefan's
version - which
I couldn't get to work.

True. I see now that I left out the final }. Thanks for
pointing this out!

Although not strictly necessary with fields I much
prefer to use quotes to delimit the various parts of a conditional
field as
it makes it much easier to see what is supposed to happen. In this
instance:

{ IF { Page } = 2 "" "{ IF { Page } = 50 "" "{ Page }" }" }

will work.

To avoid the translation issues that occur when copying fields to
text - see
http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm

This indeed seems to be a useful link!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patski107

Please forgive my ignorance, but where do I put this code if I want to
repress the page number? I have one page that I don't want the page number to
print.

thank you

Pat
--
Don''t take your organs to heaven, heaven knows we need them down here.

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patski107

So to supress page 121

{ IF { Page } = 121 "" "{ Page }" }

I tried this but it didn't work.
--
Pat

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page number
(header or footer).

news

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field braces?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page number
(header or footer).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

news

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I

remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

{ IF { PAGE } 121 { PAGE } }

Don't type the curly braces. Enter the curly braces by pressing
Ctrl+F9.

Patski107 wrote:
So to supress page 121

{ IF { Page } = 121 "" "{ Page }" }

I tried this but it didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Spaces can matter in calculation fields but I doubt it is the problem with
this field.
Try typing
IF "Page" = "121" "" "Page"
Then select each Page without the quotation marks and press Ctrl-F9. This
creates your two Page fields. Then select the entire thing and press
Ctrl-F9. This gives you the IF field. Then press F9 to update the field and
change it into a page number.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field braces?

so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page
number
(header or footer).

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Patski107

I still can't get this to work. I did just what you told me and I still have
the page number.

Pat
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page
number
(header or footer).

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Try it this way:

1. In your header/footer, press Ctrl+F9. This will insert a pair of field
braces.

2. Type IF and a space.

3. Click on the "Insert Page Number" button to insert a { PAGE } field (you
may see a number displayed).

4. Type with spaces before and after.

5. Type 121 and a space.

6. Click the "Insert Page Number" button again to insert another PAGE field.

7. Press F9 to update the field.

You should have a page number on every page but 121. Note that 121 must be
the number that Word would print on that page if it printed it. That is, the
field will not work if the page is the 121st page in the document but is
also page 20 of section 5, with numbering restarted in each section, so that
20 is what Word would print if it printed a page number.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Did you use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field braces?

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page
number
(header or footer).

newsgroup so

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
charlie hoying charlie hoying is offline

I can't quite understand what you're saying. What exactly should I do if I
was trying to take away the page numbers for like pages 8 and 9 or something,
because I can't really understand what you're saying about conditional fields
and stuff.

--
charlie

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

{ IF { PAGE } 8 { PAGE } {IF { PAGE } 9 { PAGE } "" }

will cause pages 1 through 7 and those greater than nine to be numbered. If
you wanted physical page 10 to be numbered 8 with all following pages having
the next sequential number, then use:

{ IF { PAGE } 8 { PAGE } {IF { PAGE } 9 { = { PAGE } - 2 } "" }

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bonnie Mozingo Bonnie Mozingo is offline

I was able to get the code to work but I cannot get the desired number format
to stick, I prefer Page x of y. Any suggestions?

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Use:

{ IF { PAGE } = 2 "" { IF { PAGE } = 50 "" "{ PAGE } of { NUMPAGES }" }

assuming that you want pages 2 and 50 included in the page count.

If not, use:

{ IF { PAGE } = 2 "" { IF { PAGE } = 50 "" "{ PAGE } of { = { NUMPAGES } -
2 }" }

--

"Peeter" wrote in message
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove
page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would
really
appreciate if someone could help me.

DarylAnne DarylAnne is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeter View Post
Is it possible to delete certain page numbers? I.e. How can I remove page
numbers e.g. from pages 2 and 50 without deleting other? I would really
appreciate if someone could help me.
I just deleted the page numbers in Adobe Acrobat pdf file, under tools - advanced edititng - touch up object tool
TimWord TimWord is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patski107 View Post

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You put this field code wherever you would otherwise put the page number
(header or footer).

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
It would be interesting to see this work. But, I don't want to have all that text in my footer instead of a page number. You have something wrong. It does not work.

TimWord