Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DOUG GARDNER DOUG GARDNER is offline

Default HOW DO I SET UP A CONDITIONAL FORMAT TO A FIELD

I HAVE A DOCUMENT THAT IS MERGED WITH A DATABASE. THERE ARE SOME FIELDS THAT
ARE BLANK IN THE DATABASE, BY DESIGN. HOW CAN I MODIFY THE MERGED FIELD IN A
FORM LETTER TO EITHER ADD A STANDARD TERM IF THE DATABASE IS BLANK OR ADD THE
DATABASE INFORMATION WHEN THE DATABASE FIELD IS POPULATED.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Doug,

If the field is numeric, you can add a numeric picture switch. If it's text (or numeric), you can use field coding to apply an IF
test.

In Word, to add a numeric picture switch to a mergefield:
.. select the field;
.. press Ctrl-F9 to reveal the field coding. It should look something like {MERGEFIELD MyData};
.. edit the field so that you get {MERGEFIELD MyData \# "0;-0;There is nothing to report"} where "There is nothing to report" is your
alternative text;
.. position the cursor anywhere in this field and press F9 to update it;
.. run your mailmerge.

You can use up to 64 characters in a numeric picture switch - both x and X will need to be enclosed with single quotes.

In Word, to apply an IF test to a mergefield-
.. duplicate the mailmerge field to be tested (eg «MyData») so that you get:
.. select both fields and Press Ctrl-F9, you'll get:
.. fill in between the braces so that you end up with:

--
Cheers
macropod

"DOUG GARDNER" DOUG wrote in message ...
I HAVE A DOCUMENT THAT IS MERGED WITH A DATABASE. THERE ARE SOME FIELDS THAT
ARE BLANK IN THE DATABASE, BY DESIGN. HOW CAN I MODIFY THE MERGED FIELD IN A
FORM LETTER TO EITHER ADD A STANDARD TERM IF THE DATABASE IS BLANK OR ADD THE
DATABASE INFORMATION WHEN THE DATABASE FIELD IS POPULATED.

how to conditional format in a Word table Under Pressure Tables 5 December 29th 07 07:36 PM
puzzling number format problem in conditional field Jesse[_3_] Mailmerge 5 October 5th 07 04:23 AM
Conditional Currency/Text Field Format in Merge Suzamo Mailmerge 3 March 14th 07 11:06 AM
Conditional format JohnM Tables 1 October 16th 05 03:18 PM
If then else with conditional format using comapre AND Dennis at Arcadia Mailmerge 1 January 25th 05 09:31 PM