Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Default Points in a single line

I have Word 2003. I would like to know how many points constitute a single
line space. For example, if I am at the end of a paragraph and I want the
spacing between this last paragraph and the next paragraph to be 1.5 lines,
what do I put in the After box in the Paragrph dialog box to achieve this?
What I am now experiencing is that at the end of a paragraph if I click on
the 1.5 line spacing button on the Formatting toolbar, this last paragraph
changes to 1.5 line spacing, which I do not want.

Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
macropod macropod is offline

Hi jfg,

The point size for the font is your friend here - if you're using a 12 point font, for example, and you want a 1.5 lines between
this paragraph and the next, then you'll want 18 points. So, in the 'after' box, you could input 18 points. Alternatively, you could
input '1.5 li' to get the same result.

The line spacing button only adjusts the line spacing within the paragraph.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"jfg" wrote in message ...
I have Word 2003. I would like to know how many points constitute a single
line space. For example, if I am at the end of a paragraph and I want the
spacing between this last paragraph and the next paragraph to be 1.5 lines,
what do I put in the After box in the Paragrph dialog box to achieve this?
What I am now experiencing is that at the end of a paragraph if I click on
the 1.5 line spacing button on the Formatting toolbar, this last paragraph
changes to 1.5 line spacing, which I do not want.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

A couple of caveats:

1. If you want 1.5-line spacing between paragraphs, meaning that you want an
extra half line, then you want 6 points after, not 18 (which would give you
a line and a half between paragraphs).

2. Although the nominal point size is 12, the actual distance between lines
will be more. For Times New Roman, the line spacing will be 120% of the
nominal point size, so Single spacing is actually 14.4 points. If you wanted
to add half a line's space between paragraphs, you'd need 7.2 points. In
practice, 6 points will be plenty (and 12 for a "blank line").

"jfg" wrote in message

I have Word 2003. I would like to know how many points constitute a

single
line space. For example, if I am at the end of a paragraph and I want

the
spacing between this last paragraph and the next paragraph to be 1.5

lines,
what do I put in the After box in the Paragrph dialog box to achieve

this?
What I am now experiencing is that at the end of a paragraph if I click

on
the 1.5 line spacing button on the Formatting toolbar, this last

paragraph
changes to 1.5 line spacing, which I do not want.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thank you, macropod. I tried out '1.5li' in the After box and it worked fine.
I tried variations such as 1.333li. From this experimentation, I found that 6
points is a single line spacing, 12 points double line spacing, and 1.5li=18
points one-half a single line's width more than double line spacing. I am
going to have to figure that out.

Also, thank you for letting me know that the line spacing button pertains to
intra-paragraph line.

Hsave a very Good one.

jfg

"jfg" wrote in message ...
I have Word 2003. I would like to know how many points constitute a single
line space. For example, if I am at the end of a paragraph and I want the
spacing between this last paragraph and the next paragraph to be 1.5 lines,
what do I put in the After box in the Paragrph dialog box to achieve this?
What I am now experiencing is that at the end of a paragraph if I click on
the 1.5 line spacing button on the Formatting toolbar, this last paragraph
changes to 1.5 line spacing, which I do not want.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
jfg jfg is offline

Thank you, Suzanne. 6pt in the After box gives me an extra half line. Am I
correct that this extra half line is added to whatever the setting is, i.e.,
single spacing, or double spacing, etc.? That is, if I am set at single
spacing, the 6 pts. in After will give me a 1.5 line spacing between
paragraphs; if I am set at double spacing, the 6 pts. will give me a 2.5 line
spacing between paragraphs; and so on. Hence, when 0 pts is in the After box,
nothing is added to the current line spacing.

Thanks again for your help, which is so very thorough.

jfg

"jfg" wrote in message

I have Word 2003. I would like to know how many points constitute a

single
line space. For example, if I am at the end of a paragraph and I want

the
spacing between this last paragraph and the next paragraph to be 1.5

lines,
what do I put in the After box in the Paragrph dialog box to achieve

this?
What I am now experiencing is that at the end of a paragraph if I click

on
the 1.5 line spacing button on the Formatting toolbar, this last

paragraph
changes to 1.5 line spacing, which I do not want.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Yes, that about sums it up. Ordinarily, when you are double spacing, instead
of adding space between paragraphs, you indicate the beginning of a
paragraph with a first-line indent instead.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

A couple of caveats:

1. If you want 1.5-line spacing between paragraphs, meaning that you

want an
extra half line, then you want 6 points after, not 18 (which would give

you
a line and a half between paragraphs).

2. Although the nominal point size is 12, the actual distance between

lines
will be more. For Times New Roman, the line spacing will be 120% of the
nominal point size, so Single spacing is actually 14.4 points. If you

wanted
to add half a line's space between paragraphs, you'd need 7.2 points. In
practice, 6 points will be plenty (and 12 for a "blank line").

newsgroup so
all may benefit.