Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
animalcrackergal animalcrackergal is offline

Default How do I single-space a block quotation in a double-spaced documen

I am writing a large paper and it needs to be double-spaced. However, block
quotations must be single spaced. Word won't let me single space some
portions - it changes the whole document to single space.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
PeterMcC PeterMcC is offline

"animalcrackergal" wrote in
message ...
I am writing a large paper and it needs to be double-spaced. However, block
quotations must be single spaced. Word won't let me single space some
portions - it changes the whole document to single space.

Insert a Section Break (Continuous) where you want the single spacing to
start and another one where you want the single spacing to end.

You should now have your quotation in a section of its own - and you can
reformat the section's text without it affecting the rest of the document.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

First of all, you should be able to change the format in a single paragraph
without affecting others. If you can't (and you're sure the text is
separated by paragraph breaks, not line breaks), then see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...eformatted.htm.

That said, part of the problem is that you're using the same style (probably
Normal) for all the text. What you should do instead is use Body Text
(modified as required) for the body text and Block Text (again, modified to
suit your purposes) for the block quotes.

"animalcrackergal" wrote in
message ...
I am writing a large paper and it needs to be double-spaced. However, block
quotations must be single spaced. Word won't let me single space some
portions - it changes the whole document to single space.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I hope you realize this is utter nonsense! Not only is it quite unnecessary,
it wouldn't work, either. If the problem is an automatically updating style,
section breaks won't make any difference.

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
"animalcrackergal" wrote in
message ...
I am writing a large paper and it needs to be double-spaced. However,
block
quotations must be single spaced. Word won't let me single space some
portions - it changes the whole document to single space.

Insert a Section Break (Continuous) where you want the single spacing to
start and another one where you want the single spacing to end.

You should now have your quotation in a section of its own - and you can
reformat the section's text without it affecting the rest of the document.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I hope you realize this is utter nonsense! Not only is it quite
unnecessary, it wouldn't work, either. If the problem is an automatically
updating style, section breaks won't make any difference.

Works for me - I would never make a suggestion without trying it first -
maybe it's my version of Word.

And I'm afraid that I didn't see a reference to an automatically updating
style in the OP - maybe it's my version of Mail.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The OP writes: "Word won't let me single space some portions - it changes
the whole document to single space." This is a sure sign that the style is
updating automatically (unless the entire document is a single paragraph).
When styles are operating normally, it is quite possible to apply direct
paragraph formatting to a single paragraph without affecting others, and
this doesn't require a section break. A section break is required only to
change the number of columns, the page size or orientation, the margins, the
header/footer, etc. And inserting a section break will not solve the problem
if the style is in fact updating automatically since styles are consistent
throughout an entire document.