Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JimB JimB is offline

Default Row height problem

I have a table where the row height is set to 1.87" exactly. When I set the
top and bottom cell margins at .25", the row height expands by this amount on
the display and on the print-out even though the row height still reads 1.87"
in the cell properties dialog box. How do I fix this?

Thanks, Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Accept the fact that the row height doesn't include the cell margins and
allow for them in setting the row height?

http://word.mvps.org

"JimB" wrote in message
I have a table where the row height is set to 1.87" exactly. When I set the
top and bottom cell margins at .25", the row height expands by this amount
on
the display and on the print-out even though the row height still reads
1.87"
in the cell properties dialog box. How do I fix this?

Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I agree that it seems unsatisfactory. I find the settings for column width
equally unsatisfactory--pretty much impossible to get them right if you have
any cell margins.

http://word.mvps.org

"JimB" wrote in message
I have a table where the row height is set to 1.87" exactly. When I set
the
top and bottom cell margins at .25", the row height expands by this
amount
on
the display and on the print-out even though the row height still reads
1.87"
in the cell properties dialog box. How do I fix this?

Thanks, Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
JimB JimB is offline

The strange thing is that I have no problems with the column width even with
the margins at .25". They display and print properly.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I agree that it seems unsatisfactory. I find the settings for column width
equally unsatisfactory--pretty much impossible to get them right if you have
any cell margins.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Well, what I had in mind was this: If I drag the column markers on the ruler
or the cell boundaries in the table while pressing Alt, dragging to get a
column, say, 1.8" wide (as reported by the ScreenTip), then go to Table
Properties, the Column tab reports the column width as 1.95".

Or try this: In a new document based on Normal.dot, create a four-column
table. Set the preferred table width to 100% (which means 6" in a document
based on the default Normal.dot). Then sum the "preferred" widths of the
columns (1.54" each). It will be 6.16. Fair enough: that's 6" plus the 0.08"
on each side that hangs over the margin. But the ruler will report the width
of each column as 1.39", making it difficult to switch back and forth
between ruler and Table Properties. Sometimes you can't drag the column
boundaries with fine enough control, so you think you'll set the width
exactly in Table Properties, but the amount you set there is not the same as
the result you get on the ruler.

As long as you know what's going on, you can "translate," but if you don't
have to do this very often, it can be very confusing.

http://word.mvps.org

Row height problem JimB Tables 2 October 15th 08 04:58 AM
Row height Purplejopeg Tables 1 October 10th 07 04:35 PM
Line space (or height) problem Geopla Microsoft Word Help 1 April 23rd 07 12:19 AM
Page Height Problem rickp3131 Page Layout 1 January 13th 06 01:06 PM
Row height problem with table in table Stephanie T. Tables 0 November 23rd 04 04:35 PM