Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidF

Default How do I put a border round text AND picture - Word97?

I know I am pushing my luck but I use Word (presently Word97) to edit a
local magazine, and it generally works well. How can I reliably create
an article consisting of 1 or more paragraphs and an accompanying
graphic, and then put a border around the whole combination. If I
create a text box, it won't accept a picture. If I simply select the
pre-prepared text and graphic and use Format/Border and Shading etc.,
the border usually, but not always, has a gap close to the graphic; it
is almost as if the graphic was repelling the border line.

Regards, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If a Page Border is not suitable, you may have to use an AutoShape for this.
Draw a rectangle around the whole thing and give it No Fill and the desired
line style, weight, and color.

"DavidF" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know I am pushing my luck but I use Word (presently Word97) to edit a
local magazine, and it generally works well. How can I reliably create
an article consisting of 1 or more paragraphs and an accompanying
graphic, and then put a border around the whole combination. If I
create a text box, it won't accept a picture. If I simply select the
pre-prepared text and graphic and use Format/Border and Shading etc.,
the border usually, but not always, has a gap close to the graphic; it
is almost as if the graphic was repelling the border line.

Regards, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidF

Nellie.
Thanks. Yes I tried this (except that I need to KEEP the border lines
to frame the item). But I can't get the image to move into the table.
Any ideas?

Suzanne
Thanks. I've given this a try, and IT SEEMS TO WORK up to a point!!! At
first I could not get the text into the drawn rectangle but I found
that, if I constructed a text box around the text, then I could drag it
into the rectangle. I'm not sure that I have full flexibility to place
the graphics within the text, but the method should be OK for SOME
items.It is certainly an improvement, so thanks.

Any other ideas from anyone?

Cheers, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You don't want to put the text and stuff IN the rectangle. You want to put
the rectangle around the text; format the AutoShape as Behind Text or In
Front of Text (shouldn't matter if it has No Fill).

"DavidF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Nellie.
Thanks. Yes I tried this (except that I need to KEEP the border lines
to frame the item). But I can't get the image to move into the table.
Any ideas?

Suzanne
Thanks. I've given this a try, and IT SEEMS TO WORK up to a point!!! At
first I could not get the text into the drawn rectangle but I found
that, if I constructed a text box around the text, then I could drag it
into the rectangle. I'm not sure that I have full flexibility to place
the graphics within the text, but the method should be OK for SOME
items.It is certainly an improvement, so thanks.

Any other ideas from anyone?

Cheers, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidF

Suzanne,

Thanks again. However, I tried what you said and the text moves away so
as not to be in the rectangle. The graphics are not so fussy. I tried
all the bring forward and back options. Maybe what you suggests works
with more modern versions of Word.

regards, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidF

Suzanne,
I have Word 97, and do have Front and Behind Text.
Eureka! I think I've got it! I thought I would try again, before
sending this reply, and I experimented with various choices of
'wrapping' in 'Format Autoshape' and it works if I select 'no
wrapping'.
Thankyou for your perserverence.
Regards, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sorry. The concept of "wrapping" really came to the fore in Word 2000; Word
97 users are comfortable with "inline" and "floating," which in Word 2000
become In Line With Text and "wrapped" (with "text wrapping styles" of
Square, Tight, In Front of Text, Behind Text, etc.). This is another
illustration of why it's helpful to state the version of Word involved
(which you obviously did) AND for people asking questions to remain aware of
it. g It helps to repeat the Word version in the body of the thread, since
we often don't notice such details in subject lines.

"DavidF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Suzanne,
I have Word 97, and do have Front and Behind Text.
Eureka! I think I've got it! I thought I would try again, before
sending this reply, and I experimented with various choices of
'wrapping' in 'Format Autoshape' and it works if I select 'no
wrapping'.
Thankyou for your perserverence.
Regards, DavidF

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DavidF

Thanks again ('97' did appear in the text of my first post).
Another plus of this thread is that it has introduced me to
word.mvps.org !
regards, David

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks again ('97' did appear in the text of my first post).

So I am doubly unobservant! (In my defense, the number of Word 97 users
posting here has dwindled considerably of late.)

oups.com...