Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Paul Hammond[_2_] Paul Hammond[_2_] is offline

Default Merging Graphic - SIZE problem

I thought I had this problem solved years ago. I am merging pictures using
the Included Picture method, e.g. { INCLUDEPICTURE "c:\\myimages\\{
MERGEFIELD logo}" }

I received a new logo to replace an earlier one, but it will not size
properly. All the pictures (bmp) up till now have displayed approximately
the same size, despite have a variety of dimensions. In this case the older
bitmap is 1000 x 100, but dispays in word about 2" x 1/2 inch) . but the new
bitmap is 357 x 61, but displays in word 5" x 1". I've tried putting this
in a cell of a table, but I just can't get it to behave. I have another bmp
that is 1436 x 328 pixels, but again displays at about 2.5 X 1/2 inch.

I just can't figure out what makes this one bmp different from the rest.

Thanks for listening patiently.

Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Even the simple .bmp format stores information about the number of
pixels/metre use in the file. So for example a 200 x 50 pixel file may have
been designed to be 200 pixels/inch (in which case you should have a 1in x
0.25 in image, or 50 pixels/in (i.e. a 4in x 1in picture).

Word does try to honour these values.

If you use a really simple graphics program to draw bmps - e.g. Windows
Paint - at no point are you asked to specify the number of pixels per inch
(or whatever). Windows probably uses a default based on the screen dpi or
current default printer setting - I really don't know. In a program such as
Photoshop it is more obvious when you define a "canvas" that it has a size
in inches (or whatever) and a pixels/inch setting - however, if you just
open someone else's work and save it, there is nothing in the save as dialog
boxes that lets you change that stuff. Further, anyone doing a "save for
web" type operation in many programs is probably going to have some default
values chosen for them by the graphics program they are using.

In this case, your best bet is probably to find a graphic program that you
can use to adjust the size without losing any resolution. At that point I
don't know what to suggest because I have Photoshop Elements and it meets my
needs, so I don't need any other graphics conversion facility.

Peter Jamieson