Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sekitadel sekitadel is offline

Default LISTNUM with tab positions

Hello,

Is there any way that the listnum field can be set up so that there are tab
positions/indent for each item and subsequent sub-items?

For example, currently I have been only able to produce:

1
2
2.1
2.2
3

....all at the same tab position. I am aiming to produce:

1
2
2.1 *note the indent
2.2
3

....instead. I've tried setting up styles and applying them to the set, but
it completely ignores tab positions. Is this normal? Am I doing something
wrong or misinterpreting the purpose of listnum?

The reasoning behind using listnum with tab positions is because the
document I'm working on contains sets of legal clauses that are generated
automatically - some clauses go in, some come out - and the numbering needs
to update itself. The document currently uses a basic numbering system, but
it is prone to mistakes and sometimes the numbers disappear altogether. The
listnum eliminates these problems - but it's now the tab position that's a
problem...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You will have to add the tabs manually. The LISTNUM field itself doesn't
include them.

Alternatively, set the desired left indent for the appropriate paragraphs
(or paragraph styles).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"sekitadel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sekitadel sekitadel is offline

Hi Stefan,

I failed to notice my tab example below didn't quite work out as expected,
but I'm glad you understood what I was talking about.

Thanks for confirming that for me. I was hoping that it would automatically
apply the styled tab position for that sub-item (I've been trying to do this
and thought I was doing it wrong), and not just the list type. Oh well, no
big deal .

Thanks again for your help,

- Heinz

"sekitadel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Locking box positions Matt Page Layout 0 May 20th 08 01:05 PM
How do I go back to the previous cursor positions? team Microsoft Word Help 1 April 14th 08 05:13 PM
Forms and Document Positions Ronald Dodge Microsoft Word Help 3 December 14th 06 06:51 PM
Why use Tab positions when setting up columnar information? Jolene Microsoft Word Help 3 April 1st 06 09:15 AM
Word 2003 Toolbar positions Tom Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 10:14 AM