Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PLR

Default New computer... Microsoft Office 2003...I Cant do anything. help

ok I got a new laptop for christmas.. Toshiba A55 Satellite.. Comes with a
microsoft operating system.. Did what it told me to do but when I open any
Office progams I cant open new documents or do virtually anything... all
documents are locked... Help Please... this is very frustrating.

Thanks
Computer Illerat.
Shelby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PLR

Default New computer... Microsoft Office 2003...I Cant do anything. he

Ok... yes it is a trial version... Ok fiddled with it abit and got it to
work... but since it is a trial version do i have to go buy word/office to
keep using it after the trial runs out?

Is that microsofts little con to insure sales?

Will I loose files saved during the trial after it runs out?

Thanks

Shelby

"PLR" wrote in message
ok I got a new laptop for christmas.. Toshiba A55 Satellite.. Comes with a
microsoft operating system.. Did what it told me to do but when I open any
Office progams I cant open new documents or do virtually anything... all
documents are locked... Help Please... this is very frustrating.

Thanks
Computer Illerat.
Shelby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

Why con? You are getting the opportunity to evaluate a piece of software. At
the end of the evaluation you can either buy it or uninstall it. Common
sense suggests that you check what you are buying *before* you hand over the
cash. Caveat Emptor!

The supply of application software with your PC has nothing to do with
Microsoft. The supply of trial software is a common marketing practice and
it would be a very foolish dealer or manufacturer who marketed the computer
(Microsoft doesn't sell computers) with the claim that Word was included
when it was only a trial version. If the supplier did claim that, then you
*may* have a claim against the supplier (not Microsoft) for the promised
full version.

There are very few PC suppliers who supply full versions of the software,
other than at extra cost. There are other software products around - some
free- that will open Word documents if that is what you want to do.

If by lose files, you mean your documents, then no they will be preserved.
But if you plan to keep them, don't password protect them, as other software
products will probably not be able to resolve the encryption.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Have you activated Word? Do you even have Word installed? Is it a
trial version?

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"PLR" wrote in message
ok I got a new laptop for christmas.. Toshiba A55 Satellite.. Comes
with a microsoft operating system.. Did what it told me to do but
when I open any Office progams I cant open new documents or do
virtually anything... all documents are locked... Help Please...
this is very frustrating.

Thanks
Computer Illerat.
Shelby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PLR

Ok that clarifies it. Every other computer i have puchased had at least
word/works installed on a permenent type basis... guess things have changed
in the last 4 years.

Thanks

Shelby

"PLR" wrote in message
ok I got a new laptop for christmas.. Toshiba A55 Satellite.. Comes
with a microsoft operating system.. Did what it told me to do but
when I open any Office progams I cant open new documents or do
virtually anything... all documents are locked... Help Please...
this is very frustrating.

Thanks
Computer Illerat.
Shelby

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Many computer vendors are now offering the Corel Office suite instead of
Microsoft Office (much cheaper); some still offer Works Suite (which
includes Word 2002). Others apparently offer just the MS Office trial. I've
noticed that Dell, for example, has a habit of selling "home" computers
loaded with Windows XP Home and minimal software while "recommending" XP Pro
and MS Office (at additional cost).

If you decide you do want to keep Word and don't need any of the other
Office apps, Works Suite is by far the cheapest way to get it (and a host of
other useful apps as well), but be aware that it is one version back.
Subject to Graham's caveat about passwords and encryption, you can also open
Word files (for reading and printing only) with the Word Viewer (get it at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en).