Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Specnick Specnick is offline

Default "Article I" appears in front of headings

When copying text from emails or articles from Internet into a Word document,
the words "Article I," "Article II," etc. appear in front of headings. How
do stop/prevent this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gordon Bentley-Mix Gordon Bentley-Mix is offline

Word is automatically applying a Heading style (most likely Heading 1) to the
"headings" from the copied content, and this Heading style is defined to be
numbered using "Article I", etc.

You can address this by either modifying the Heading style to have no
numbering or by pasting the copied content as plain text. There are a couple
of ways to do the second, but perhaps the easiest is to paste the content
into a text editor like NotePad (which will strip out all formatting), and
then copy and paste this clean content into a Word document. Other methods
may be available depending on the version of Word you are using, including
Edit | Paste Special... - Unformatted Text.
--
Cheers!

Gordon Bentley-Mix
Word MVP

Uninvited email contact will be marked as SPAM and ignored. Please post all
follow-ups to the newsgroup.

"Specnick" wrote:

When copying text from emails or articles from Internet into a Word document,
the words "Article I," "Article II," etc. appear in front of headings. How
do stop/prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

First, this could also be caused by using a numbering scheme that's linked
to the heading styles. More than likely the copied content already has the
heading styles applied and the source document utilizes the numbering
scheme. In this situation the numbering isn't defined in the style. To
rectify this scenario, place the insertion point in a paragraph formatted
with the heading style, display the Numbering gallery and click "None".

Second, if the document already utilizes the the linked numbering scheme
then pasted as unformatted text or attempts to strip the formatting prior to
pasting won't make a difference because as soon as a Heading style is
applied the numbering scheme will reappear.
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Gordon Bentley-Mix" gordon(dot)bentleymix(at)gmail(dot)com wrote in
message ...