Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Micahe Micahe is offline

Default How do I create a document CD with a main document w/ hyperlinks?

I would like to create a CD with a main document using MS Word that has
hyperlinks to other documents on the CD. I know how to create hyperlinks
using MS Word, but wondered what will happen when I transfer the information
to the CD... I assume the hyperlinks will break.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Micahe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I do this all the time.
There should not be any problems, so long as the documents are not
seperated, i.e. placed in different folders on the CD.
Hope this helps.
DeanH
"Micahe" wrote:

I would like to create a CD with a main document using MS Word that has
hyperlinks to other documents on the CD. I know how to create hyperlinks
using MS Word, but wondered what will happen when I transfer the information
to the CD... I assume the hyperlinks will break.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Micahe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Micahe Micahe is offline

Default How do I create a document CD with a main document w/ hyperlin

So, should I just create the document and put it, along w/ all the files,
into the same folder, then burn it all onto a CD?

Thanks! ME
--
Micahe

"Micahe" wrote:

I would like to create a CD with a main document using MS Word that has
hyperlinks to other documents on the CD. I know how to create hyperlinks
using MS Word, but wondered what will happen when I transfer the information
to the CD... I assume the hyperlinks will break.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Micahe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I would not put them in any folder. Easier for reading the files from the CD
later.
I only know that the links wont work if say: the referenced documents are in
a folder that the "master" document is not.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Micahe" wrote:

I would like to create a CD with a main document using MS Word that has
hyperlinks to other documents on the CD. I know how to create hyperlinks
using MS Word, but wondered what will happen when I transfer the information
to the CD... I assume the hyperlinks will break.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
--
Micahe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Do put them all into the same folder before creating the links, and be
sure to use relative links that only show the filename, not absolute
links that show the whole filepath.

When you burn it, either the CD can replace the folder as the main
container, or the CD can contain a folder which contains the documents,
it doesn't matter. The documents need to stay in the same relationship
to each other--all in the same container--for the relative links to
continue to work.

Two things that might be necessary to maintain the relative links.
Depending on how you create the links, you may need to toggle fields
with alt-F9 and manually edit some filenames. Also, in Tools | Options |
General | Web Options (I think), uncheck the boxes about "updating links
on save."

If you have subfolders, the relative links should reflect the
subfolders, but still not the whole filepath.