Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fee Buddled Fee Buddled is offline

Default Strange "hyphens" appearing randomly in middle of words Word 2003

Help! Opened a doc in Word 2003 to find strange "raised hyphen" characters
appearing randomly in the middle of lots of words. These are only visible
with "Show/Hide" button selected. e.g.: reha¬bi¬litation

What the heck is this and how do I get rid of them globally in this doc
(apart from by tediously deleting each one individually)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What you are describing are optional hyphens: they will print (and show in
Print Preview) only when a word is at a line break. To get rid of them, you
can replace ^- with nothing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP