Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott Scott is offline

Default Normal.dot size growing for our users

We have a domain enviornment that our users have roaming profiles. We have
each users Normal.dot saved to their own personal drive on our network. We
are using Office 2003 Professional in a Windows XP enviornment. The users
use word quite often and after the user closes out of word it saves to their
Normal.dot. These Normal.dot's grow in size pretty quickly and has become a
crazy task to constantly clean up the Normal.dot's. We have 4-5 custom
macros that I believe may be the cause.

I have read the article http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm
that seems like a good solution to move the macros to a different template,
however one of our macros that we use lets a user to be able to hotkey and
save to a specific user network location via a UNC path. Each save area is
different for each user.

Does anyone have an idea on how i can make a seperate globaltemplate but
still be able to file save to individual unc path's?

Or does anyone have any other idea's on how I can keep the nomral.dot from
growing or at least limiting its size?

Thanks!!

Scott
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If the users are constantly making changes and additions to normal.dot then
of course they will grow. It would be better if you set tools options
save prompt to save normal.dot, then at least the users would have the
choice of whether to save or not.

It may be possible, depending on how the network folder allocations are set
up, to automatically save to the correct location for a given user with the
same macro, but we would need a little more information about paths and how
they relate to the users. I would recommend that you post this information,
with example code to the Word vba forum.

Scott wrote:
We have a domain environment that our users have roaming profiles.
We have each users Normal.dot saved to their own personal drive on
our network. We are using Office 2003 Professional in a Windows XP
environment. The users use word quite often and after the user
closes out of word it saves to their Normal.dot. These Normal.dot's
grow in size pretty quickly and has become a crazy task to constantly
clean up the Normal.dot's. We have 4-5 custom macros that I believe
may be the cause.

I have read the article http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm
that seems like a good solution to move the macros to a different
template, however one of our macros that we use lets a user to be
able to hotkey and save to a specific user network location via a UNC
path. Each save area is different for each user.

Does anyone have an idea on how I can make a separate globaltemplate
but still be able to file save to individual unc path's?

Or does anyone have any other idea's on how I can keep the normal.dot