Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Big Mac Big Mac is offline

Default Access Query to mailmerge US Date

Mailmerge to Access brings US date format but I have got the format showing
In UK format in Word using the field switch however when I run a query the
date still has to be entered in US format. Is there any way to change this so
that my clients can enter the date in UK dd/MM/yyyy format
--
Thanks in advance for your time

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

when I run a query the
date still has to be entered in US format

Do you mean that
a. you are connecting to an Access parameter query, and the users are
typing a date into the box that Access pops up? or
b. they are specifying out query options in Word's Mail Merge Recipients
dialog box, or the query options dialog box? or
c. something else?

(And which version of Word/Access?)

(I'm not sure it makes any difference whether it's (a) or (b) but it would
be helpful to know for the purposes of investigation)
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Big Mac" wrote in message
Mailmerge to Access brings US date format but I have got the format
showing
In UK format in Word using the field switch however when I run a query the
date still has to be entered in US format. Is there any way to change this
so
that my clients can enter the date in UK dd/MM/yyyy format
--
Thanks in advance for your time

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Big Mac Big Mac is offline

Sorry for not clarifying the issue, I had an update from my client. They are
using Mail Merge Recipient button, find "in this field" - a date field.
Although the dates appear in UK form in the column, they have to type the US
version for it to find records containing the correct dates.
--
Thanks for replying so quick.
______

"Big Mac" wrote in message
Mailmerge to Access brings US date format but I have got the format
showing
In UK format in Word using the field switch however when I run a query the
date still has to be entered in US format. Is there any way to change this
so
that my clients can enter the date in UK dd/MM/yyyy format
--
Thanks in advance for your time

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am reasonably sure that you can only do that if the date is coming from
the Access database in UK format - Word is trying to match the text it sees
before it applies any formatting. You can /probably/ achieve that by using
an Access query that does something like

SELECT *, format(mydate,'DD/MM/YYYY') As [mynewdate] FROM mytable

in Access, if you are in a position to add queries to their database. If
not, you could consider issuing the query from VBA or creating a query in
your own MDB that links to their table/query.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Big Mac" wrote in message
Mailmerge to Access brings US date format but I have got the format
showing
In UK format in Word using the field switch however when I run a query
the
date still has to be entered in US format. Is there any way to change
this
so
that my clients can enter the date in UK dd/MM/yyyy format
--
Thanks in advance for your time

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Big Mac Big Mac is offline

Thanks I'll try that
--
Hope this helps :-)

"Big Mac" wrote in message
Mailmerge to Access brings US date format but I have got the format
showing
In UK format in Word using the field switch however when I run a query
the
date still has to be entered in US format. Is there any way to change
this
so
that my clients can enter the date in UK dd/MM/yyyy format
--
Thanks in advance for your time

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Just in case it isn't obvious:

Since the match is a text match, the users will need to know the specific
format to type - if you use DD/MM/YYYY, they need to use 01/02/2008, not
1/2/2008, and so on.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk