Tosca

Default Extension of widow/orphan control

Hi everyone

I have Word 2003 and am aware of widow/orphan control. I need a slight
extension of the concept but don't know if it can be set up easily or if it
might need coding etc.

I prepare documents that have an underlined title, a line space then the
text of the paragraph(s). When the topic changes, there's a line space
after the final paragraph, then a new underlined title, a line space and
then the text of the new paragraph(s). What I need to do is keep the title
line, line space and first line of the paragraph together, rather than
having these three lines split across a page end. Can this be done
automatically? I usually resort to checking the document manually which is
fine but, if I change anything, such as the font, margins etc. I have to go
through the document again to check the page breaks.

Thanks for your time and patience

Well, to begin with, don't use an empty paragraph to create your "line
space." Use Space Before/After (an easy way to add 12 pts Space Before--the
equivalent of a "blank line"--is to press Ctrl+0). Then apply "Keep with
next" to the heading* (Word's built-in headings styles 1-4 have this
property by default). This will keep your heading with the first two or more
lines of the following paragraph.

*In case you don't know, find "Keep with next" and other similar controls on
the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format | Paragraph.