Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
goplayoutside goplayoutside is offline

Default Adobe Reader opens when I try to open a .doc file

When I double click on any word 2003 document, I get the following error from
Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader could not open 'name_of_file.doc' because it is
either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for
example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

However, if I right click on any .doc file and Open it with Microsoft Word,
the document opens just fine. I can live with it, but its getting annoying.
Thanks for all your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It appears you have the windows file association for DOC set to Adobe
Reader. Right click a doc in Windows Explorer, choose Open With and select
Winword from the list. Check the box to always open with this application.

goplayoutside wrote:
When I double click on any word 2003 document, I get the following
error from Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader could not open
'name_of_file.doc' because it is either not a supported file type or
because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an
email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

However, if I right click on any .doc file and Open it with Microsoft
Word, the document opens just fine. I can live with it, but its
getting annoying. Thanks for all your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
D'Arcy D'Arcy is offline

I have a similar problem when I try to open .doc files with Word 2007 (newly
installed). I tried to set the default file type association to WinWord
2007, but it never comes up in the list. And when I Browse to find it in "My
Computer" I can never find it, because Office 2007 didn't install in Program
Files like everything else normally does. As below, I can live with it, but
it's really annoying.

Thanks.

goplayoutside wrote:
When I double click on any word 2003 document, I get the following
error from Adobe Reader: Adobe Reader could not open
'name_of_file.doc' because it is either not a supported file type or
because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an
email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

However, if I right click on any .doc file and Open it with Microsoft
Word, the document opens just fine. I can live with it, but its
getting annoying. Thanks for all your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

By default Word 2007 is winword.exe and installed in the folder
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
If you have chosen to install it anywhere else, then substitute the location
when you browse for the application. If you can't remember where you
installed it search the hard drive for winword.exe and make a note of the
folder.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/Document_Not_Found.htm

Old word and adobe reader unable to open in 2007 Jan Microsoft Word Help 1 October 14th 07 11:03 AM
Saving Word to Adobe Reader Ant Microsoft Word Help 7 April 4th 07 04:56 AM
how do i transfer adobe reader file to word document StuMac Microsoft Word Help 1 September 16th 06 06:46 AM
Flipping between Word and Adobe Reader Foxtrotsky Microsoft Word Help 7 May 27th 06 10:56 PM
Adobe Reader FUSTRATED Page Layout 1 January 12th 06 03:45 PM