Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default non-continuous section breaks

Ive been doing a lot of content removal and rearrangement. When I view
headers/footers in a Word 2007 .docm file, they number from beginning to end
like this: Section 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8.

The fallout from this is the page numbering for section 7 will not continue
from previous section. Is there a way to make the section numbers sequential
again so my page numbers will correct themselves? Also, is this a cautionary
tale about not cutting whole sections and moving them (I have a mix of
landscape and portrait pages).

Ive never experienced non-sequential section numbering before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The sections are inarguably sequential (there aren't any missing); it's just
that not every section has an accessible header and footer because some of
them are "continuous" and are in the middle of a page (for example, around
multi-column sections). In order to address page numbering in those
sections, you must be in the respective section; at least Word 2007 makes it
easier to access the Page Number Format dialog from anywhere in a document.

You can use the browse buttons at the bottom of the vertical scroll bar to
Browse by Section. This should allow you to access each section in turn.
Watch the section and page numbers on the status bar, and when you come to a
section where page numbering is restarted, go to Insert | Header and Footer
| Page Number | Format Page Numbers... and select "Continue from previous
section." Repeat as needed until the numbers are sequential throughout the
document.

http://word.mvps.org

"cayce" wrote in message
Ive been doing a lot of content removal and rearrangement. When I view
headers/footers in a Word 2007 .docm file, they number from beginning to
end
like this: Section 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, and 8.

The fallout from this is the page numbering for section 7 will not
continue
from previous section. Is there a way to make the section numbers
sequential
again so my page numbers will correct themselves? Also, is this a
cautionary
tale about not cutting whole sections and moving them (I have a mix of
landscape and portrait pages).

Ive never experienced non-sequential section numbering before.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout