asallwey asallwey is offline
Junior Member

Default W. Explorer Opens Wordpad not Word

I'm on a new-to-me laptop. The OS is XP, Office is 2000. When I try to open a doc file with Windows Explorer, WordPad opens instead of Word. And it usually has problems with the file. I run the same software versions on my desktop with no problem. The document opens correctly if I open with Word. This happens on any Word document. I don't see an options in Explorer to make the default program for a .doc file Word.

What Happened? Or, more importantly, how to I fix this so Word is the default program for .doc files?

Thanks!

Alex
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Can you right-click on a file name and get the "Open with" option?
These days, that will get you to a panel showing, or where you can
browse through, all the programs on your system, with a box at the
bottom to check for "Make this the default program for this type of
file." (I don't know how it was back in XP, though.)

--
asallwey

asallwey asallwey is offline
Junior Member

Ok, that did it. Now all is well. I forgot about that method of opening. Too used to double clicking I guess!

Thanks,

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter T. Daniels View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

So it wasn't something that ain't broke but they tried to fix it
anyway!

(But will it still work in Windows 8?)