Leonard F Kiesling

Default caps stuck on & all text highlighted when a few letters selected

using word 2002, xp sp2, dell desktop 4600. a strange thing occurred when my
son was typing an essay. he recalls holding down right shift for 8+ seconds,
& box came up about filter keys. after that, the letters typed all capitals
& caps lock light was off. toggled backwards. & when trying to highlight a
few letters or words, all text was selected.

we did a restart & reopened word & the same document. same problems. we did
a cold boot. opened a new document & no further problems. all working
normal. deleted the old document.

the reason i'm writing, is if this happens again, is there a way to get back
to normal-default settings? without cold restart? & how did this happen to
begin with?

any feedback greatly appreciated! told my son not to press &/or hold key or
keys down!!!!

thank you, len kiesling

Jay Freedman

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:33:19 -0400, "Leonard F Kiesling"
wrote:

using word 2002, xp sp2, dell desktop 4600. a strange thing occurred when my
son was typing an essay. he recalls holding down right shift for 8+ seconds,
& box came up about filter keys. after that, the letters typed all capitals
& caps lock light was off. toggled backwards. & when trying to highlight a
few letters or words, all text was selected.

we did a restart & reopened word & the same document. same problems. we did
a cold boot. opened a new document & no further problems. all working
normal. deleted the old document.

the reason i'm writing, is if this happens again, is there a way to get back
to normal-default settings? without cold restart? & how did this happen to
begin with?

any feedback greatly appreciated! told my son not to press &/or hold key or
keys down!!!!

thank you, len kiesling

Go to Start Settings Control Panel Accessibility Options. In
that dialog, FilterKeys is one of the three items. Unchecking any
checked options turns them off. Then click the Settings button and
uncheck the Use Shortcut option to prevent it from ever popping up
again.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Leonard F Kiesling

thank you! solved!! i changed in all 3 users of xp home edition, sp2. very
clear directions!
thank you, len kiesling

wrote:

[...]

Help: Highlighted text problems Dab New Users 1 April 7th 05 08:11 PM
Change highlighted text biting_bear Microsoft Word Help 1 March 11th 05 10:33 PM
Text uppercased and text is highlighted in blocks baystate Microsoft Word Help 1 March 11th 05 12:55 AM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 03:49 PM
Strange formatting of text not highlighted Dan Schaffer New Users 9 December 6th 04 11:08 PM