johnshaft2000

Default Help me impress my boss!

I hope someone can help with this query. What I have is I have a mail
merge set up which prints information of about three records to a page
and then repeats the pages until it runs out of records. What I need
though is a field of text which appears only once at the start of the
document and is not repeated when the next set of three records merges
meaning I end up with the same text at the top of each page.

I need to be able to say I want this text to only appear once at the
top of the page and then have the rest of the mail merge running as
before. Any ideas?

dj

If I am understanding your question correctly, ou should be able to insert
the field of text into a "First Page Header" by choosing View, Header and
Footer. If the First Page Header doesn't come up automatically, you can
select it by choosing File, Page Setup, and then selecting the "Different
First Page" box under Headers and Footers.

If I've misunderstood you, sorry. Give me a little more detail and I'll try
again!

JK Hunter
MinutiaMinders

"johnshaft2000" wrote:

I hope someone can help with this query. What I have is I have a mail
merge set up which prints information of about three records to a page
and then repeats the pages until it runs out of records. What I need
though is a field of text which appears only once at the start of the
document and is not repeated when the next set of three records merges
meaning I end up with the same text at the top of each page.

I need to be able to say I want this text to only appear once at the
top of the page and then have the rest of the mail merge running as
before. Any ideas?

johnshaft2000

Thanks for getting back to me but when I try what you suggested I get
the first front page, then I get the normal page with the three merged
records, then another first front page then another three merged
records and so on. Is there any way I can tell it not to repeat this
first page header?

To give you a bit more clarification this is how it is set up:

1) There is a header at the top of each page
2) below that is a table which has a number of merge fields about a
record
3) Then there is a gap with a next record code
4) then there is another table which is identical to the table in step
2 but for the next record
5) Then there is a gap with a next record code
6) then there is another table which is identical to the table in step
2 but for the next record

That is where the mail merge set up ends. Then it repeats itself until
all the records to merge have run out. I then tried doing the
"different first page" suggestion you gave me but it meant that after
the three tables had been mereged that the first page repeated again.
Any more ideas?

macropod

Hi John,

If you want to do this without using a header, you could use a formula
field, coded as:
{IF{=MOD({MERGESEQ},3)}= 1 "MyText"}
ahead of your existing set of mergefields

Cheers
PS: The field braces (i.e. '{ }') can't be typed/pasted - they are created
in pairs via Ctrl-F9.

oups.com...