Scott Bass

Default How do I prevent Word from locking the file?

Hi,

I have a program that creates an RTF file. I want to use Word to render and
view the file. I have a need to do two things:

1. I don't want Word to lock the file. IOW, I don't want to have to close
the file, run the program, open the file, close the file, run the program,
etc. just to change parameters on the program and re-run it. I've tried
opening the file readonly, and even trying the MS Word Viewer 2003. In
every instance, viewing the file locked the file, so that my program failed
when trying to modify the file from "underneath" Word.

2. I need to be able to reload or revert the open file back to the version
of the file on disk. I can't find this functionality within Word.

I note with some bemusement the Open Office Writer can do both of the above;
if I view the file readonly, it does not lock the file, and it has a reload
command to reload an open file from disk. However, I was hoping to coax
Word to do what I need, rather than to install Open Office on hundreds of
computers.

Thanks,
Scott

Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
creating forms Fluffypink Microsoft Word Help 4 March 9th 05 05:17 PM