Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
70Standard 70Standard is offline

Default Open multiple files from Word 2003 search

Recently upgraded from Word 2000 to Word 2003. In 2000, I was able to use
the search function in the Open File window to find documents with key words,
then open several at once to see which one I wanted to use. In 2003, I'm
struck by the much more cumbersome (and surely more powerful, for those who
needed it) search setup and, more importantly, the ability to only open one
file returned by the search. If that file isn't the one that's needed, the
entire search must be re-run, and each file inspected in this cumbersome way.
Any idea why the user-friendliness of the 2000 search function was tossed
aside for what has been put in 2003?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Reb Reb is offline

Use the Search function on the Start Menu. Once it lists the found documents,
select the ones you want using the Ctrl key and open them all at once.

"70Standard" wrote:

Recently upgraded from Word 2000 to Word 2003. In 2000, I was able to use
the search function in the Open File window to find documents with key words,
then open several at once to see which one I wanted to use. In 2003, I'm
struck by the much more cumbersome (and surely more powerful, for those who
needed it) search setup and, more importantly, the ability to only open one
file returned by the search. If that file isn't the one that's needed, the
entire search must be re-run, and each file inspected in this cumbersome way.
Any idea why the user-friendliness of the 2000 search function was tossed
aside for what has been put in 2003?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
70Standard 70Standard is offline

The Start menu search function doesn't work the same way as the old one from
the Open File window in Word 2000. If you enter multiple words, it looks for
them as a phrase rather than as individual key words. Additionally, you have
to drill down and indicate the folder to search, the file extension, etc.
None of these steps were necessary in Word 2000 - it only searched doc files
by default, it searched by multiple keywords rather than by phrases, etc.
Definitely a step backwards regarding search functionality.