superjen

Default how do i create a mathematical divide symbol in word, for sums

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4= four'
.. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'..... only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Symbol font has what you want. Pull up your Character map. It's marked
character code 0xB8. I wish I could tell you how to type that but I can't.
If it were me, I'd copy and paste it in.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"superjen" wrote in message
my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4=
four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'.....
only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also
be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

Although it's true, as Jezebel and JoAnn have pointed out, that this
character can be found in the Symbol font, it's also in most basic ASCII and
Unicode fonts, at glyph 00F7 (ASCII 0247). You can insert it by pressing
Alt+0247 (you must use the number keys on the numeric keypad) or, in Word
2002 or 2003, by typing 00F7 and pressing Alt+X.

"superjen" wrote in message
my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4=

four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'.....

only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also

be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

superjen

hi, i probably did this a bit wrong, so sorry if it doesnt make sense, but
i'm trying to amend my own post.
i have a laptop..... so no separate numeric bit on the keyboard. i can find
the symbol font ( yey i'm a genius!) but not the division symbol in it, and i
can't get the codes that people offered me to work (i'm guessing its as i
don't have the numeric keyboard bit that ya get on a pc).... and i can't get
my character map up either (i'm using the evil xp so i don't know where to
find it)
if anyone has a suggestion, could they possibly help and use really really
simple steps and idiot proof terms for me (*does sheepish look*)

"superjen" wrote:

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4= four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'..... only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

Did you look at Insert | Symbol? You should find the division symbol in
"(normal text)" (you don't have to use the Symbol font). You don't need to
type any numbers, just select the symbol and click Insert. If you use it
often, you might want to assign a keyboard shortcut. I have Ctrl+Shift+X
assigned to × and Ctrl+:, - (that is Ctrl+Shift+Semicolon, Hyphen) assigned
to ÷.

For more, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/InsertSpecChars.htm

"superjen" wrote:

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4=

four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'.....

only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot

both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would

also be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

Jezebel

All laptops I've ever used have a pseudo numeric keyboard: press the NumLock
button, then use the keys on the right-hand side of the keyboard (m=0, j=1,
k=2, etc). Normally the numeric characters are shown in miniature on the
front of the keys.

"superjen" wrote:

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4=
four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'.....
only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot
both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also
be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

superjen

ooooh myyy goooooood i'm so thick * very embarressed look* looked in
insert/symbols.... and there it is. thankyou soooooo much. i'm sure it wasnt
there yesterday, but i have a feeling i was just not payin enough attention.
THANKYOU !!!!

"superjen" wrote:

my mum is a primary school teacher.. she wants to use microsoft word to
create a list of simple sums for her class... like ' 16 shared by 4= four'
. but we can't find a mathematical divide symbol, even in 'symbols'..... only
these ones are close, and they appear on the keyboard anyway!.....
: - + = /....
we need one of the standard ones with the horizontal stripe and a dot both
top and bottom....
any help would be really greatfully received... something easy would also be
good as she's not very computer literate!
thanks! :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maureen d'arcy maureen d'arcy is offline

Hi

I am looking at placing division sum in word document with top figure
underlined and above bottom figure, with normal sized text adjacent to it.

Any ideas please as at present I have to type 400/25 in super & sub script

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10047793.aspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...teFraction.htm.